Your favorite classic breakfast flavors all combined into one! Ham, cheddar cheese, and hash browns are the stars of this egg bake that is sure to become your new breakfast staple. Lighter Ham Hash Brown & Cheese Egg Bake gives all the saltiness that you crave, the carbs you need, and the protein that will keep you going. This egg bake is great on its own, or it can act as the perfect base to your next hearty breakfast spread. The simple ingredients make it easy to throw together in a pinch–setting you up for success no matter what kind of week you’re having!
Egg bakes are the perfect meal prep!
There’s no better meal prep for breakfast or lunch than an egg bake: they are simple to prepare, easy to cook (pop it in the oven and let it do it’s thing!), and store really well in the fridge for a few days. They also freeze perfectly, if you don’t plan on eating the portions right away. I love stocking my freezer with portions of meal prepped breakfast or lunch ideas, so that on the weeks where I don’t have the time to cook from scratch, I have healthy options on hand. If you plan on freezing an egg bake, simply wrap individual serving sizes in plastic wrap or pop them into a freezer bag. To defrost, put a portion in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the morning. Or, simply microwave to defrost. Egg bakes reheat really well in the toaster oven, microwave, conventional oven, or air fryer! You can’t beat it.
Other similar recipes with eggs and potatoes
Speaking of eggs and potatoes, if that’s your thing, you should check out these recipes:
What you’ll need to make this Lighter Ham, Hash Brown & Cheese Egg Bake
Please note that the specific brands I used in making this recipe impact the calorie count. If you are counting calories or macros, make sure you account for the specific brands you used. You can also substitute in Canadian bacon or bacon for the ham, or any cheese of your choice.
- Shredded Hash Browns
- You can use either frozen or refrigerated hash browns for this recipe, just make sure they are the shredded variety.
- If you use frozen, make sure to defrost the hash browns fully by microwaving them.
- Uncured Black Forest Ham
- Brand used: Dietz & Watson
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
- Brand used: Cabot Lite75 Cheddar Cheese
- Liquid Egg Whites
- Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Dried Chives
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Dill Weed
How to make this Lighter Ham, Hash Brown & Cheese Egg Bake
Start by preheating your oven to 350F. Chop the ham and chop the onion.
Next, add the ham and onion to a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Continue by sautéing over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onions are tender and slightly caramelized.
Next, add the cooked ham and onions to a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Follow by adding the cup of hash browns on top, spreading in an even layer. In a bowl, add eggs, egg whites, spices, yogurt and cheese. Stir to combine. Finally, pour over the ham and onion layer.
Bake for 35 minutes. Enjoy! This recipe makes four generous servings, however you can also split it into six servings if you wish. Since this recipe already includes eggs, a protein, and potatoes, I recommend serving it alongside toast and fruit for a complete breakfast.
Lighter Ham, Hash Brown & Cheese Egg Bake
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- baking dish or casserole dish 9 x 13
- 1 cup shredded hash browns, Used: Simply Potatoes Shredded hash browns
- 7 oz ham, Used: Dietz & Watson Uncured Black Forest ham
- 3.5 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, Used: Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, Used: Lawrys Seasoned Salt, The Original
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 medium onion
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the ham and chop the onion.
- Add the ham and onion to a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onions are tender and slightly Caramelized.
- Add the cooked ham and onions to a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add the cup of hash browns on top, spread in an even layer.
- In a bowl, add eggs, egg whites, spices, yogurt and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour over the ham and onion layer. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven.
- 3 WW points
Say goodbye to complicated and boring omelets! Try one of my other Egg Bake recipes, perfect for feeding your family or for meal prep for the week. Egg bakes also make a great lunch or brunch recipe.