This egg bake has classic Italian flavors: from salty prosciutto di Parma, bell pepper, onion, asparagus, Italian seasoning, and mozzarella. Packed with hearty and filling vegetables, this egg bake is a nutritious option for breakfast or lunch. Pair this egg bake with toast for a complete breakfast, or with mixed greens for a filling lunch.
A veggie-packed way to start the day
This egg bake is packed with vegetables, including red bell pepper, onion, and asparagus. It bulks up this egg bake with lots of good nutrients, flavor, and fiber. Paired with the protein packed prosciutto, eggs, and Greek yogurt, this dish is a nutrient-dense way to start your day. For breakfast, you can eat this egg bake alone, or paired with toast and fruit. For lunch, pair this egg bake with a side salad and extra veggie for a well-rounded meal.
Storage and reheating
To store this meal, wrap individual portions in plastic wrap or foil and leave in the fridge for up to three days; beyond that point, I recommend freezing individual portions, also wrapped in plastic wrap or foil. To heat, defrost frozen portions in the microwave, and then crisp up using a toaster oven or air fryer for just a few minutes. This egg bake (along with many of my other egg bakes) freeze really well, and make for a great meal prep for that reason. If you are on the WW Personal Points Plan, you will have 1 point added back to your daily total if you track this recipe. To easily track this recipe and reflect your own personal points, use the link in the recipe card below.
What do you need to make this Italian egg bake with prosciutto and vegetables?
- red bell pepper
- prosciutto di Parma
- Prosciutto is a cured Italian meat. It is similar in flavor to ham.
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- egg whites
- You can use either all eggs, or all egg whites.
- fat-free mozzarella cheese
- You can use full-fat mozzarella cheese, or part-skim mozzarella cheese; whatever you have on hand will work well.
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- This is used to make the egg mixture creamy, in place of using a heavy cream or similar product.
How to make this Italian egg bake with prosciutto and vegetables
To make this dish, start by preheating the oven to 375F. Seed and chop the bell peppers, chop the onion, and trim the ends off the asparagus. Cut the asparagus into bite-sized pieces. Add the vegetables to a frying pan sprayed with olive oil spray over medium heat. Add ½ tsp of kosher salt. Toss to coat. Cover the frying pan with a lid, and steam the vegetables for about 7-8 minutes. Remove the lid every so often to toss the vegetables around. Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray or non-stick spray. Chop the prosciutto. In a mixing bowl, prepare the egg mixture by adding the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley together. Whisk to combine. Add in 1 cup of the mozzarella. Add the pre-cooked vegetables to the baking dish, and then top with the prosciutto. Then, pour the egg mixture on top. Spread the ingredients in an even layer. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake the dish for 35-40 minutes or until firm and set up.
Italian Egg Bake with Prosciutto and Vegetables
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- baking dish or casserole dish 9 x 13
- 2 cups bell peppers, chopped, 2 peppers
- 1 cup onion, chopped, 1 onion
- 3 cups asparagus, trimmed, chopped into bite-sized pieces, 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 4 oz prosciutto di Parma, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1.5 cups fat free mozzarella
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Add olive oil spray to a frying pan over medium heat.
- Chop the onion, seed and chop the bell pepper, and trim the ends off the asparagus and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the vegetables to the frying pan with the kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Toss to combine, and then cover with the lid to steam.
- Steam the vegetables for about 7-8 minutes, removing the lid to toss every so often.
- Set the vegetables aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella (reserve the rest for the top), and the parsley together in a mixing bowl.
- Chop the prosciutto.
- Spray the baking dish with olive oil spray, and then arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the chopped prosciutto on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the prosciutto, spread to create an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until firm and set up.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven.
- 2 WW points
If you are looking for other veggie-packed egg breakfasts, check out these other flavorful egg bakes and quiche recipes, which are all also great for meal prep: Hearty Western Omelet Egg Bake Corn and Cheddar Egg Bake Spinach Egg Bake with Phyllo Ham and Broccoli Quiche with Pizza Crust Zucchini Quiche with Hashbrown Crust Lighter Tater Tot Breakfast Bake