Have you ever added corn to your egg bake? Probably not, and if that’s the case, you’re missing out! The corn and cheddar egg bake is simple to make, but is bursting with the flavors of bell pepper, onion, corn, cheddar, and scallions. This egg bake is great to make for the family, or to make in advance for meal prep for the week. Serve with some toast, bacon, or breakfast sausage for the perfect meal.
Corn with eggs?
Yes! Trust me. It’s delicious. I love the subtle sweetness and crunch of corn kernels. When combined with some sautéed red bell pepper and onion, the corn in this dish really flavors the eggs well.
I really like to serve this egg bake with some toast for a complete meal. The flavors take on a really good Southwestern inspired taste. It’s also excellent with some smoky bacon or sausage as a side dish.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe. The ingredient list is pretty simple, and I can usually make this recipe with things I always have on hand. I like to use frozen corn for this recipe for that reason; I always have a bag of frozen corn in my freezer.
- corn kernels
- red bell pepper
- kosher salt
- egg whites
- fat free cheddar cheese
- plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- seasoned salt
- if you don’t have seasoned salt and don’t want to buy it, you can add paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder to kosher salt for a similar taste
- here is a link to how to make your own seasoned salt using items you probably have already
How to prepare the vegetables for the corn and cheddar egg bake
Start by preheating your oven to 350F.
While the oven preheats, chop your onion, pepper, and scallions.
In a frying pan, add some olive oil spray and sauté the onion and pepper with the kosher salt for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, add the corn and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Cook the corn mixture for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and tender.
Then, grab a baking dish and spray it with cooking spray. Add the peppers, onions and corn to the bottom of the dish in an even layer.
How to prepare the egg mixture and putting it all together
Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt, seasoned salt, cheddar, and the scallions.
Pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetable layer in the baking dish.
Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are set up and firm.
Corn and Cheddar Egg Bake
- frying pan
- rectangular baking dish, example: 9" x 13"
- 1 cup corn kernels I use frozen
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 eggs I use Egglands Best - they’re lower in calories and points
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop the red bell pepper, onion, and scallions.
- Place a frying pan over medium high heat. Add cooking spray.
- Add the chopped peppers and onions and the 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the corn kernels and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, cheese, yogurt, scallions, and seasoned salt. Whisk together.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking spray, then add the vegetables and spread into an even layer on the bottom.
- Pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center is firm.
- Cut into 4 servings.
- To store, keep covered in the fridge. To reheat, simply microwave or pop in the air fryer.
- 1 WW point (blue and purple plans)
- 4 WW points (green plan)
You might also enjoy: