Say goodbye to boring breakfasts! My butter-less caramelized onions are the key to keeping this delicious breakfast light and flavorful. This Light Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche is sure to be on repeat–with healthy leafy greens, protein-packed eggs, light mozzarella cheese, and caramelized onions bursting with flavor. This is a breakfast you’ll feel great about eating. It’s easy, nutritious, mouth-watering and a great option for on-the-go or meal prep!
My Butter-less Caramelized Onions
The star of this delicious quiche are my butter-less caramelized onions! Click here to read the full caramelized onion recipe.
Traditionally, caramelized onions are cooked with lots of oil and butter, sometimes even sugar. I discovered a way to make these onions without any of that, and they taste exactly the same. My recipe yields two cups of onions. For this recipe, you will only need one cup. Save the extra onions to up the flavor profile of your next lunch or dinner! These caramelized onions are great on burgers, steak, chicken, sandwiches–the opportunities are endless. All you will need to make the onions are a large frying pan, 2 lbs of onions, 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of reduced sodium chicken broth, and olive oil spray.
About this lightened-up quiche
Unlike my Zucchini Quiche with Hashbrown Crust or Ham and Broccoli Quiche with Pizza Crust, this version does not have a crust. You can bake it directly in a pan and the filling will still set and stay together.
Besides the use of my Butter-less Caramelized Onions, this recipe includes a few other simple swaps to keep it light without sacrificing flavor. For example, instead of using calorie-dense heavy creams or half-and-half, I opted to use non-fat Greek yogurt. The consistency and flavor is still great and you wouldn’t even notice a difference! I also opted to use light mozzarella cheese as well as a combination of regular eggs and egg whites. It’s up to you if you’d rather use full fat cheese or not–just make sure you account for the difference in calories if you are following a plan like WW or counting calories.
This Light Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche is great to have on hand for an easy breakfast. It is simple, easy to throw together, and will store well in the fridge for a few days. This will also freeze well if you don’t plan on eating the portions right away or are looking to build your freezer stash. I love stocking my freezer with portions of meal prepped breakfast or lunch ideas, so that on the weeks where I don’t have the time to cook from scratch, I have healthy options on hand. To defrost, put a portion in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the morning. Or, simply microwave to defrost.
What you will need to make this Light Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche
To make this recipe you’ll need my Butter-less Caramelized Onions along with a few other ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Bag of frozen spinach
- Eggs & egg whites
- The conversion for eggs to egg whites is that 1 large egg is equivalent to 3 tablespoons of egg whites.
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Herbs d’provence (or Italian seasoning)
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh chopped chives
- Shredded light mozzarella
- I like to use the Trader Joe’s brand, but any will work.
- You can also substitute in your favorite cheese, like Swiss or Gruyere.
- My Butter-less Caramelized Onions
How to make this Light Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche
To make this recipe, start by preheating your oven to 375F. Defrost the 16 oz bag of frozen spinach and squeeze out all of the excess water.
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, and spices. Whisk to combine.
Add in the caramelized onions and spinach, as well as 1 oz of the shredded light mozzarella cheese.
Spray a pie plate or tart pan with nonstick spray and pour the mixture in. Top with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until set up. Allow to cool before slicing into 4 portions.
Light Caramelized Onion and Spinach Crustless Quiche
- mixing bowl
- pie plate or tart pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 cups egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Butter-less Caramelized Onions, recipe on my blog, linked in body of blog post
- 16 oz frozen spinach
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence, or Italian seasoning
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp chives, fresh; chopped
- 2 oz reduced fat mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze out all excess water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, and spices.
- Whisk to combine.
- Then add in the caramelized onions and spinach and 1 oz of the cheese.
- Spray a pie plate or tart pan with nonstick spray and pour the mixture in.
- Top with the remaining 1 oz cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until set up.
- Allow to cool before slicing into 4 portions.
- 1 WW point
Try one of my other meal-prep friendly breakfast recipes!
Leave a Reply