Bored with breakfast? Look no further than these Light BLT Baked Egg Cups. These are not your average egg cups; what makes them BLT style? They feature crispy cooked center cut bacon, fresh arugula, halved cherry tomatoes, and sharp cheddar. Each bite is more flavorful than the next, and they are a great way to get your protein in at breakfast time. Choose your serving size based on what your day looks like, and serve alongside some toast and fruit for the ultimate breakfast.
All about these light BLT baked egg cups
These are not your average baked egg cups: these have a “BLT” flavor spin! These egg cups are flavored with sauteed crispy salty bacon, and sweet cooked red onion. Combined with fresh tomatoes and arugula (the “L” and “T”) for this recipe, these egg cups have a surprising fresh flavor. Plain non fat Greek yogurt makes the egg mixture creamy and light, and sharp cheddar cheese helps round out the flavor of these egg cups.
These egg cups make a delicious and easy meal prep; since this recipe makes 12 servings, this recipe can provide you with a healthy and easy breakfast for anywhere from 4 to 6 days, depending on your chosen serving size. The great part about these muffins being individual servings is that each day you can choose your desired portion.
Serve these egg cups alone, or with toast or a toasted English muffin. Wrap these egg cups individually and freeze them to make them last even longer. To defrost, simply pop them in the fridge overnight and heat in the morning in the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven.
What you will need to make this recipe
To make this recipe, you will need:
- center cut bacon
- Center cut bacon is regular pork bacon, but leaner with less fat.
- I love using it in recipes for that delicious bacon flavor, but for less calories and fat.
- red onion
- egg whites
- I like using a combination of whole eggs and egg whites as a way to stretch the recipe for less fat and calories. If you prefer to use all eggs or all egg whites, you can do that, too.
- The conversion for egg whites and eggs is 1 egg = 3 tbsp egg whites.
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- I love using plain non-fat Greek yogurt to make the egg mixture more creamy and thick without the use of milk or cream.
- reduced fat cheddar cheese
- I love using this brand, because it tastes just like full-fat sharp cheddar : Lite75 Sharp Cheddar Cheese | Light Cheese | Cabot Creamery (cabotcheese.coop)
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- cherry tomatoes
- If you are not a fan of arugula, you can substitute spinach leaves. This is the “L” part of these BLT egg cups.
- non-stick cooking spray
How to make these light BLT baked egg cups
Start out by preheating the oven to 350F. In the meantime, chop the center cut bacon and the onion. Add the bacon and the onion to a frying pan, and turn the heat on medium high heat. Cook the bacon and onion for about 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the onion is tender and starts to caramelize. Remove the pan from the heat.
In the meantime, add the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika to a mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Grate the cheese, half the tomatoes, chop the scallions, and add them to the egg mix with the arugula. Once cooled, add the cooked bacon and onions (including the bacon grease, there is flavor there!) to the egg mixture.
Spray a regular-sized muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and add the egg mixture in 1/3 cup portions to each opening of the muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set up. Allow them to cool before removing from the muffin pan.
The serving size for these egg muffins is completely up to you: choose 1, 2, 3 or even 4 of these muffins for a filling and healthy breakfast, either on their own, or served alongside toast or an English muffin.
Light BLT Baked Egg Cups
- frying pan
- regular size muffin pan
- 4 slices center cut bacon chopped
- 1 red onion medium, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 oz reduced fat cheddar shredded
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup arugula
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the bacon and onion, and add them to a frying pan.
- Place the frying pan over medium high heat.
- Cook the bacon and onion together for about 10-15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the onion is tender and starts to caramelize.
- (Use the bacon grease to cook the onions).
- Once cooked, remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Shred the cheese and add the cheese to the egg mixture.
- Half the cherry tomatoes, and chop the scallions and add them to the egg mixture.
- Add the cooked bacon and onions to the mixture, including the residual grease.
- Add the arugula to the egg mixture and stir to coat.
- Spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the mixture into each muffin opening.
- Bake the eggs for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set up.
- 2 WW points each (green)
- 1 WW point each (blue and purple plans)
You might also enjoy these egg-based meal preps: