Tomato and pesto–it’s a match made in egg bake heaven! This Healthy Tomato Pesto Egg Bake is a delicious option for breakfast with flavorful plum tomatoes, pesto, onion, mozzarella, mushrooms, and a handful of pantry staple seasonings. This nutritious meal prep is packed with protein, so it’s sure to keep you full all morning. Start your new year off on the right foot by setting yourself up for success with this mouthwatering egg bake recipe.
Egg bakes are the perfect meal prep
There’s no better meal prep for breakfast or lunch than an egg bake: they are simple to prepare, easy to cook (pop it in the oven and let it do it’s thing!), and store really well in the fridge for a few days. Better yet, they also freeze perfectly, if you don’t plan on eating the portions right away. I love stocking my freezer with portions of meal prepped breakfast or lunch ideas, so that on the weeks where I don’t have the time to cook from scratch, I have healthy options on hand. If you plan on freezing an egg bake, simply wrap individual serving sizes in plastic wrap or pop them into a freezer bag. To defrost, put a portion in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the morning. Or, simply microwave to defrost. Egg bakes reheat really well in the toaster oven, microwave, conventional oven, or air fryer! You can’t beat it.
Check out one of these other delicious egg bake recipes:
- Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake
- Lighter Ham Hash Brown & Cheese Egg Bake
- Corn and Cheddar Egg Bake
What you’ll need to make this Healthy Tomato Pesto Egg Bake
Liquid egg whites
Fresh cracked pepper
- You can use store-bought, or you can use homemade.
- Find my Skinny Pesto Sauce recipe here.
- Traditional pesto sauce uses a lot of olive oil which tends to be high in calories, although since only 1/4 cup is used for this recipe, it’s perfect to use storebought here. My homemade skinny pesto sauce requires just six ingredients–with one special ingredient used to stretch the oil without compromising flavor or texture. There is minimal prep required–just break out your food processor or blender!
How to make this Healthy Tomato Pesto Egg Bake
Healthy Tomato Pesto Egg Bake
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- baking dish or casserole dish 9 x 13
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella, divided
- 1 plum tomato
- 1/4 cup pesto, store-bought, or Find my Skinny Pesto Sauce here
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Chop the onion. Spray a frying pan with olive oil spray.
- Add the chopped onion and mushrooms to the frying pan and saute over medium high heat.
- Cover the pan with a lid so that the vegetables steam and cook down. Remove the lid after about 5 minutes, and then cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Transfer the cooked mushrooms and onions to a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, Italian seasoning, dried basil, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the mozzarella. Pour the egg mixture on top of the cooked mushrooms and onions.
- Dollup the pesto evenly on top of the eggs.
- Thinly slice the tomato and arrange the tomato slices on top of the eggs. sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set up.
- 3 WW points
If you are looking for other veggie-packed egg breakfasts, check out these other flavorful egg bakes and quiche recipes, which are all also great for meal prep: