It’s an omelette made easier! This Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake is inspired by my favorite omelette ingredients: melty cheddar cheese, broccoli florets and onion. Instead of going through the work of throwing an omelette together every day, make it an egg bake! Egg bake recipes take the guesswork out of having a healthy breakfast ready to go. They’re easy to throw together and help set you up for success for days to come. Give yourself the gift of a healthy and delicious breakfast you’ll look forward to every morning.
Egg bakes are the perfect meal prep!
There’s no better meal prep for breakfast or lunch than an egg bake: they are simple to prepare, easy to cook (pop it in the oven and let it do it’s thing!), and store really well in the fridge for a few days. They also freeze perfectly, if you don’t plan on eating the portions right away. I love stocking my freezer with portions of meal prepped breakfast or lunch ideas, so that on the weeks where I don’t have the time to cook from scratch, I have healthy options on hand. If you plan on freezing an egg bake, simply wrap individual serving sizes in plastic wrap or pop them into a freezer bag. To defrost, put a portion in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the morning. Or, simply microwave to defrost. Egg bakes reheat really well in the toaster oven, microwave, conventional oven, or air fryer! You can’t beat it.
Other similar recipes with broccoli and cheddar
Broccoli and cheddar is a match made is heaven. Think: comfort food, but lightened up. Try out one of my other broccoli and cheddar recipes:
Broccoli and Cheddar Egg Sandwiches
Lightened-Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
What you’ll need to make this Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake
Please note that the specific brands I used in making this recipe impact the calorie count. If you are counting calories or macros, make sure you account for the specific brands you used. For example, I used fat free cheddar cheese but you can also substitute in any cheese of your choice.
This recipe takes minimal ingredients to make; there’s no need to complicate things. Just let the natural flavor of broccoli and cheese take over this egg bake! This recipe is so simple, and also budget friendly as a result of its minimal ingredients, making meal prep even easier and more convenient!
- Kosher salt
- Broccoli florets
- I like using ones that come in a steamable bag, to make this dish even easier to prepare.
- Liquid egg whites
- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- This adds creaminess to the egg bake, similar to adding milk to an omelet.
- Fat free cheese
- Find the brand I used linked here
- You can also use full fat or reduced fat, whichever you prefer.
How to make this Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake
Start by preheating your oven to 350F. Steam the broccoli florets and set aside.
Chop the onion and add to a frying pan with olive oil spray and the kosher salt. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelized, then add the steamed broccoli in to combine.
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, plain nonfat Greek yogurt, and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray, and add the onions and broccoli to the dish in an even layer, followed by the egg mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set up.
Enjoy! This recipe makes four generous servings, however you can also split it into six servings if you prefer. Serve alone or alongside toast, breakfast sausage, potatoes, or fruit for a complete breakfast.
Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Egg Bake
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- baking dish or casserole dish 9 x 13
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 oz broccoli florets
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 3/4 cup fat free cheddar cheese, brand used: Kraft
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Steam the broccoli florets and set aside.
- Chop the onion and add to a frying pan with olive oil spray and the kosher salt.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelized, then add the steamed broccoli in to combine. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, plain non fat greek yogurt, and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray, and add the onions and broccoli to the dish in an even layer, followed by the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set up.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, air fryer, or toaster oven.
- 1 WW point
Say goodbye to complicated and boring omelets! Try one of my other Egg Bake recipes, perfect for feeding your family or for meal prep for the week. Egg bakes also make a great lunch or brunch recipe paired with a side salad.
Leave a Reply