This protein smoothie will have you feeling lucky! My Healthy Shamrock Protein Smoothie is packed with nutrients and ingredients that will keep you satisfied. Better yet? It’s delicious! This recipe uses similar ingredients to some of my other healthy smoothie recipes like cocoa powder, unsweetened almond milk, etc. However, this Healthy Shamrock Protein Smoothie sneaks in a dose of vegetables–helping not only give this smoothie that green color but also adding to the health benefits of this smoothie.
What you’ll need to make my Healthy Vanilla Bean Protein Smoothie
Note: If you’re counting calories or macros or tracking points on WW, be sure to account for the specific brands you use when making this smoothie.
- Unsweetened almond or cashew milk (you can also use oat or skim milk).
- This smoothie is not dairy free, since the protein powder has whey; however, I like using plant based milk for recipes like this one because they are low in calories and fat.
- Vanilla protein powder
- linked here
- I choose to use one that is sweetened with coconut sugar, rather than with artificial sweeteners.
- Pure maple syrup
- Fresh spinach
- Ice cubes
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- This ingredient adds a lovely dark chocolate flavor to the smoothie, but does not add any sweetness. This is a great way to add extra flavor to a smoothie, without adding a ton of calories.
- Mint extract
- Vanilla extract
- Optional: serve with whipped cream, chocolate chips, sprinkles etc.
All about the protein powder I use
- My favorite vanilla protein powder: linked here through my Amazon Affiliate link
- Feel free to use your favorite vanilla flavored protein powder.
- I never was a fan of protein powder because I could never find one that didn’t contain artificial sweeteners or even natural sugar replacements, which I am sensitive to. After a quick google search for “protein powder sweetened with coconut sugar” and found the Naked Whey brand on Amazon (which I use here in this recipe). I was skeptical at first, but the minimal ingredients really make me feel good about using protein powder.
- Using one scoop of protein powder for this smoothie offers over 12g of protein without adding any chalky texture or aftertaste.
How to make this Healthy Shamrock Protein Smoothie
Smoothie recipes are great because once you gather all of your ingredients, all you need to do is toss them in a blender! This makes them a great option when you’re in a pinch, on the go, or just don’t feel like breaking out your pots and pans.
Once blended, you can opt to serve this smoothie over ice if desired. Adding ice cubes to the blender gives your smoothie an extra chill.
What makes this protein smoothie different?
What really sets this homemade protein smoothie apart is the ingredients. Smoothie recipes can be complicated, high in calories, and require a ton of ingredients you don’t have on hand. My Healthy Shamrock Protein Smoothie recipe only requires just a few ingredients! You may opt to use the specific brands that I used, or you can substitute them for the brands that you have at home–remembering to account for any calorie discrepancies if you’re on WW or tracking calories.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is so easy and versatile. When it comes to equipment, as long as you have a blender you can make this recipe. You need all of five minutes to throw your ingredients in and blend them together. This smoothie works well at all times of the day, and is perfect if you’re on the go and want that extra something to fill you up.
How can I elevate this recipe?
This smoothie is great as it is but if you’re looking to bulk it up you totally can do that! I opted to serve my smoothie with whipped cream for an added layer of creaminess. You can add chocolate chips, sprinkles, fresh fruit, cacao nibs, shredded coconut–the options are endless!
This smoothie recipe makes one 20-ounce smoothie. It is super filling as breakfast, lunch or a snack. If you’d rather pair it with your favorite breakfast, that’s an option too! Find some of my suggestions below:
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Pancake Bake
- Healthy Banana Almond Butter Muffins
- Maple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Skinny Banana Bread with Walnuts
- Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins
Healthy Shamrock Protein Smoothie
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder, used: Naked Whey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp mint extract, or more to taste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- optional: chocolate chips or your favorite topping
- Combine all ingredients in blender.
- Optional: Serve over ice.
- Optional: top with chocolate chips or your favorite fun topping.
- 5 WW points