My Healthy Mocha Coffee Protein Smoothie is the perfect way to start your day! Minimal ingredients like frozen banana, cocoa powder, and almond milk combine with cold brew to give you that extra boost you need to feel energized for whatever the day will throw at you. Even better? This recipe includes a scoop of protein powder so you’ll be full and good-to-go while checking those tasks off your to-do list. This chocolatey protein smoothie is a great choice for a breakfast, lunch, snack, or dessert that will keep you on track with your goals while still satisfying your sweet tooth.
All about the protein powder I use
- My favorite vanilla protein powder: linked here through my Amazon Affiliate link
- Feel free to use your favorite vanilla flavored protein powder.
- I never was a fan of protein powder because I could never find one that didn’t contain artificial sweeteners or even natural sugar replacements, which I am sensitive to. After a quick google search for “protein powder sweetened with coconut sugar” I found the Naked Whey brand on Amazon (which I use here in this recipe). I was skeptical at first, but the minimal ingredients really make me feel good about using protein powder.
- Using one scoop of protein powder for this smoothie offers over 12g of protein without adding any chalky texture or aftertaste.
- If you want to bump up the protein even more, you can add another scoop of protein powder and more milk.
What you’ll need to make this Healthy Mocha Coffee Protein Smoothie
Note: If you’re counting calories or macros or tracking points on WW, be sure to account for the specific brands you use when making this smoothie.
- Frozen banana
- Tip: when your bananas become ripe and you have no immediate plans to use them, peel them and freeze them individually to use in smoothies like this one.
- Freezing bananas without their peel makes it so easy to pop them into your favorite recipes; peeling bananas that are frozen can get very tricky!
- Using frozen banana for this recipe makes this smoothie super thick, creamy and slushy. Also, the riper the banana, the sweeter it is. If you use a super ripe frozen banana, the developed sugars in the fruit will result in a deliciously sweet smoothie.
- Vanilla protein powder
- linked here
- I choose to use one that is sweetened with coconut sugar, rather than with artificial sweeteners.
- Cocoa powder
- This ingredient adds a lovely dark chocolate flavor to the smoothie, but does not add any sweetness. This is a great way to add extra flavor to a smoothie, without adding a ton of calories.
- Date syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Cold brew
- Unsweetened almond milk (you can also use cashew, oat, or skim milk)
- This smoothie is not dairy free, since the protein powder has whey; however, I like using plant based milk for recipes like this one because they are lower in calories and fat.
- Optional: serve with whipped cream and more date syrup
How to make this Healthy Mocha Coffee Protein Smoothie
Smoothie recipes are great because once you gather all of your ingredients, all you need to do is toss them in a blender! This makes them a great option when you’re in a pinch, on the go, or just don’t feel like breaking out your pots and pans.
Once blended, you can opt to serve this smoothie over ice if desired. Adding ice cubes to the blender gives your smoothie an extra chill.
How can I elevate this recipe?
This smoothie is great as it is but if you’re looking to bulk it up you totally can do that! I opted to serve my smoothie with whipped cream and extra date syrup for an extra burst of sweetness. You can add crushed cookie pieces, nut butter, my Homemade Cookie Butter Spread, sliced banana, cacao nibs, shredded coconut–the options are endless!
This smoothie recipe makes one 20-ounce smoothie. It is super filling as breakfast, lunch or a snack. If you’d rather pair it with your favorite breakfast, that’s an option too! Find some of my suggestions below:
- Tiramisu Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Banana Almond Butter Muffins
- Maple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Skinny Banana Bread with Walnuts
- Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins
Why I’m loving smoothies right now
Smoothies have been a new go-to for my busy weeks! They’re great for a lot of reasons–whether I need something quick after a workout, rushing out the door to get the kids to school, or want something lighter that will still keep me full. Smoothies can do it all!
Recently, I released a new recipe for a Healthy Pumpkin Spice Protein Smoothie. A lot of you are loving the fall flavor profiles of that recipe and the ease of throwing all the ingredients together. I also have a Healthy Chocolate Frosty Protein Smoothie. If you like the chocolatey flavors of this smoothie–you’ll love that one! It seriously tastes like you’re drinking a decadent chocolate frosty minus all the sugar and unhealthy ingredients. It offers a subtle sweetness that makes it great for breakfast–but still sweet enough for a dessert or snack.
The next time you find yourself looking for a quick breakfast, lunch, snack, or dessert–throw together one of my healthy protein smoothies!
Healthy Mocha Coffee Protein Smoothie
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, used: Naked Whey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold brew
- optional: whipped creme, extra date syrup, or your favorite topping
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Optional: add 2 ice cubes to blender.
- Optional: top with whipped creme, extra date syrup, or your favorite fun topping.
- 4 WW points