These easy chocolate banana muffins have been a go-to in my recipe rotation for three years. Moist chocolate muffins made with just a handful of ingredients; I love having them on hand for a healthy snack or dessert, but they also make a really great breakfast.
The shortest ingredient list ever!
Here’s all you need to make this super simple recipe:
- Dark chocolate Kodiak Cakes
- if you’re having trouble finding this mix, here is the store locator
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Mashed bananas
- Vanilla extract
How to make Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins
First, preheat your oven to 350F. Then, grab a standard muffin pan with 12 openings. Spray the openings with some cooking spray. Next, take your bananas – make sure they are overripe. This recipe works best with overripe bananas. Wait until the outsides become brown, just like if you were to make banana bread. Mash the bananas in a bowl using a fork. If you need some extra help or want to really smooth out all of the lumps, you can use a hand mixer or even pop them in a blender to make the mixture super smooth. Next, add your other wet ingredients – the eggs and the extract. Whisk together.
Then, add your pancake mix, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa.
Stir everything together, and you’ll get a mixture that looks (and smells!) like brownie batter.
Pour the batter by 1/4 cup portions into each muffin opening, and bake for 25 minutes. Note, the centers will be very moist because of the banana. They will be cooked, but they will still feel very moist on the inside – this is normal!
Commonly asked questions about this recipe
- Does it taste like bananas? Yes, it does. There is a clear banana flavor, as well as a lot of chocolate flavor.
- What if I don’t like bananas? You can omit the bananas and add 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened applesauce instead.
- What if I can’t find the chocolate Kodiak Cake mix? You can use the regular Kodiak cake mix, and these will come out great, they just won’t be as chocolate-y.
- How do you store these? Pop these in an air tight container or a large freezer bag and store them in the fridge for up to a week. They also store well in the freezer.
- How do you serve these? For breakfast, have a couple of these with some eggs and other protein on the side, or some fruit and yogurt. If you want a yummy sweet snack, these are great to just eat as is, or with a little nut butter smeared on top. To serve these for dessert, I have seen some people top these with whipped cream or even low calorie ice cream!
Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins
- muffin pan
- mixing bowl
- 4 bananas, overripe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Kodiak Cakes pancake mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 12-opening muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the four overripe bananas with a fork. You can use an electric mixer to get the lumps out, if desired.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and whisk together.
- Add the pancake mix, the baking powder and the cocoa powder and stir to combine.
- Fill each muffin opening with 1/4 cup of the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Blue and purple plans:
- 1 point per muffin
- Green plan:
- 1 point for 1 muffin
- 3 points for 2 muffins
- 4 points for 3 muffins
Leave a Reply