Inspired by viral videos, this Viral Cottage Cheese Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream will be your new favorite treat. This “Ice cream” is high in protein, naturally sweetened and incredibly easy to throw together. All you will need are 5 pantry staple ingredients and a blender. Who knew cottage cheese could transform into a chocolatey, peanut buttery delicious sweet treat? This better-for-you dessert is sure to be a favorite!
What you’ll need to make this Viral Cottage Cheese Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Note: If you’re counting calories or macros or tracking points on WW, be sure to account for the specific brands you use when making this smoothie.
- Tip: when your bananas become ripe and you have no immediate plans to use them, peel them and freeze them individually to use in recipes like this one.
- Freezing bananas without their peel makes it so easy to pop them into your favorite recipes; peeling bananas that are frozen can get very tricky!
- Using banana for this recipe makes this smoothie super thick and creamy. Also, the riper the banana, the sweeter it is. If you use a super ripe banana, the developed sugars in the fruit will result in a deliciously sweet end product.
- Powdered nut butter
- This is a way to get some good flavor in: for this recipe, I used a regular peanut butter flavor. You can really have fun with it; they make all sorts of flavored powdered nut butters now, like chocolate, vanilla, and even maple flavored.
- Find the brand I use here
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- This ingredient adds a lovely dark chocolate flavor to the ice cream, but does not add any sweetness. This is a great way to add extra flavor to a dessert recipe, without adding a ton of calories.
- Maple syrup
- Maple syrup acts as a great natural sweetening agent in this recipe. Keep it to the real stuff when it comes to using maple syrup in this recipe. Pancake syrup or other “lighter” syrups won’t deliver on flavor like you need them to.
- Cottage Cheese (reduced fat or full fat, based on your specific macro needs)
- I know you may be skeptical. I promise you–don’t be! The cottage cheese acts as a great base for this ice cream and adds a ton of protein so this dessert can keep you full.
How to make this Viral Cottage Cheese Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
There are only a few simple steps to make this viral ice cream!
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth; pour into two containers for two portions. Freeze for a minimum of one hour. Before scooping, remove from the freezer to soften.
What makes this recipe different?
This recipe was inspired by viral videos. After seeing everyone making ice cream out of cottage cheese, I had to try it for myself! My take on this viral trend keeps your health goals in mind, though truthfully it wasn’t hard with cottage cheese as the base since it’s packed with protein.
My take on this recipe utilizes 5 pantry staples and doesn’t require any fancy kitchen gadgets or tools. It’s also guaranteed to fit into your health goals whether that be counting calories, macros, WW and beyond!
Where can I find more healthy sweet treats?
If you’re anything like me, dessert is a nonnegotiable. I have tons of options on my blog for anyone with a sweet tooth! I focus on using real, natural sweeteners in my dessert recipes. You can feel great about incorporating them into your–and your family’s–day!
- My smoothie recipes are great for a midday pick-me-up, a well-rounded dessert to end the night, or as a delicious breakfast. Many of the ingredients are similar to this ice cream–so you probably already have many of the ingredients on hand!
- Baked Oatmeals
- It’s safe to say my baked oatmeal recipes are definitely a blog favorite. Great for meal prepping, on-the-go, dessert, breakfast, snack–there’s almost no bad time for a slice of baked oatmeal. The portions are generous and filling. I have tons of different flavor combinations for you to try out but here are some of the more dessert-forward favorites:
Viral Cottage Cheese Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 2 glass or tupperware freezer-safe containers
- 1 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp powdered peanut butter
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth
- Pour into two containers for two portions.
- Freeze for a minimum of one hour, remove from the freezer to soften before scooping.
- 4 WW points