This almond flour chocolate chip pancake bake offers all of the flavors of classic chocolate chip pancakes, but with a gluten free and dairy free spin. The pancake bake is almond flour based, sweetened with maple syrup, topped with no sugar added, dairy free and gluten free chocolate chips. Even though this pancake bake is on the healthier side, it is a delicious and sweet option for breakfast or a snack. Top with maple syrup or nut butter, and pair with fruit, yogurt or eggs for a complete meal. The best part? No pancake flipping! This pancake bake is made entirely in the oven.
All about almond flour, and why I use it here
I had never used almond flour prior to a few months ago. Almond flour is made with one ingredient: almonds. It is ground up almonds, forming a fine powder, like flour. Once I learned that, I was less intimidated by the concept of using it for recipes.
I find almond flour to be so ideal when baking sweet treats (like these Guiltless Almond Flour Brownies or Light Peach Cake with Almond Flour). The texture and flavor of almond flour really gives baked goods the moist, almost crumbly texture we often look for in treats. I really love working with it for recipes like this.
There are different kinds of almond flours: blanched, super fine. The one I use here is super fine and blanched, but any variation should work perfectly. If you find that your almond flour is a little clumpy, you can sift it out before mixing it with the other ingredients.
You can find almond flour in health food stores (like Whole Foods or specialty markets) or in the organic section of your regular supermarket.
The beauty of a pancake bake
The best part of making a pancake bake is that it eliminates the most tedious part of making pancakes: standing at the stove, waiting for them to cook, and flipping them.
There is no need for any of that, since this recipe is made entirely in the oven. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, pour into a baking dish, and let the oven do the work. This method also allows for easy portioning into individual servings, and makes for easy storage and transport.
If you like the idea of a pancake bake, you can also try my easy pancake recipes which feature protein pancake mix for a higher protein option: Easy Pancake Bake. They make for a great meal prep because of how easy they are to make, store and reheat. There are different varieties, including:
Savory Bacon and Cheddar Pancake Bake
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pancake Bake
Lemon Almond Poppy Seed Pancake Bake
What you will need to make this almond flour chocolate chip pancake bake
- almond flour
- I recommend the super fine variety; you can find almond flour in health food stores (like Whole Foods or specialty markets) or in the organic section of your regular supermarket.
- baking powder
- This helps the bake get a lighter and fluffier texture.
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened almond milk
- This keeps this recipe dairy -free in addition to gluten-free.
- maple syrup
- I love using the organic maple syrup from Costco, the Kirkland brand. Real maple syrup makes a difference here when it comes to flavor; it is used as the sweetening agent for this recipe, so I recommend using the real thing here.
- kosher salt
- no sugar added or reduced sugar chocolate chips
- Since I do not use artificial sweeteners or sugar replacements, I love using these chocolate chips, because they are made with only four ingredients, and they are sweetened with dates: No Added Sugar Keto Baking Chocolate Chips – Hu Kitchen
- My discount code with Hu (when it’s active) is STEPH.
- optional: powdered sugar for dusting
How to make almond flour chocolate chip pancake bake
To start, preheat the oven to 375F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and milk and whisk to combine. Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Spray a baking dish, and pour the batter into the baking dish. Top with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 20 minutes or until set up. Allow the bake to cool completely before cutting into six servings.
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Pancake Bake
- mixing bowl
- baking dish 8x11 or 9x11
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 oz reduced sugar or no sugar added chocolate chips, used: Hu Kitchen No Sugar Added Chips
- optional: powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Combine the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract, eggs, and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a sprayed baking dish, and top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until set up. Allow to cool before slicing into 6 servings.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- 6 WW points
Leave a Reply