This egg bake is light when it comes to calories, macros and points, but the opposite when it comes to flavor. Lighter Southwestern Egg Bake with Corn Tortillas is a delicious change up from your typical egg breakfast (or lunch). This egg bake starts out with flavorful sauteed cubanelle peppers and onions, mixed together with eggs, egg whites, spices and fresh herbs. Layered on top of corn tortillas and topped with melty cheese, this egg bake is delicious and packed with flavor. Enjoy it alone, or with your favorite toppings and sides like avocado and salsa for the ultimate yummy but healthy meal.
Egg bakes are the perfect meal prep!
There’s no better meal prep for breakfast or lunch than an egg bake: they are simple to prepare, easy to cook (pop it in the oven and let it do it’s thing!), and store really well in the fridge for a few days. They also freeze perfectly, if you don’t plan on eating the portions right away. I love stocking my freezer with portions of meal prepped breakfast or lunch ideas, so that on the weeks where I don’t have the time to cook from scratch, I have healthy options on hand. If you plan on freezing an egg bake, simply wrap individual serving sizes in plastic wrap or pop them into a freezer bag. To defrost, put a portion in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the morning. Or, simply microwave to defrost. Egg bakes reheat really well in the toaster oven, microwave, conventional oven, or air fryer! You can’t beat it.
What you’ll need to make this Lighter Southwestern Egg Bake with Corn Tortillas
To make this recipe, you will need some pantry staples, and some fresh ingredients:
- cubanelle or Italian long frying peppers
- You can also use bell peppers.
- non-stick cooking spray
- extra thin corn tortillas
- I use this brand, but any will do.
- cups egg whites
- You can also use all eggs, or all egg whites.
- The conversion for eggs to egg whites is that 1 large egg is equivalent to 3 tablespoons of egg whites.
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- This helps make the egg bake creamy, like how you would add milk to an omelet.
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- kosher salt
- fresh cilantro
- reduced fat Mexican style shredded cheese
- I use this brand.
- You can also use cheddar.
How to make this Lighter Southwestern Egg Bake with Corn Tortillas
To make this recipe, start by preheating the oven 375F. Chop the onion and peppers, and saute them in a frying pan with cooking spray and 1/2 tsp kosher salt for about 10 minutes or until tender. This part is necessary to develop flavor, as raw onions and peppers have a totally different flavor profile as compared to these delicious sauteed vegetables. Set aside once done.
To create the egg mixture, combine the eggs, egg whites, spices, yogurt, and herbs. Also, add 1/2 cup of the cheese. Cut the corn tortillas into 6 pieces each (triangles) and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Add the cut tortillas to the baking dish in an even layer, and then top with more cooking spray. Pour the cooked peppers and onions on top of the corn tortillas, and then add the egg mixture on top. Top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until set up.
Lighter Southwestern Egg Bake with Corn Tortillas
- frying pan
- mixing bowl
- baking dish 9x13
- 1 onion
- 3 peppers, cubanelle, Italian frying peppers, or bell peppers
- 6 corn tortillas, used: Mission extra thin
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh
- 2 scallions
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Chop the onion and peppers.
- Add the onions and peppers to a frying pan with 1/2 tsp of the kosher salt and non-stick cooking spray (reserve remaining kosher salt for later).
- Saute the peppers and onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelized. Set aside.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each corn tortilla into 6 triangles, and line the bottom of the baking dish with the cut tortillas.
- Spray more cooking spray on top of the tortillas, and then add the cooked peppers and onions on top in an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, yogurt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and reserved 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
- Chop the fresh cilantro and the scallions and add them into the egg mixture.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese (reserve the rest for later).
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the peppers and onions, making sure the ingredients are distributed evenly.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until set up.
- Allow to cool before slicing into 6 pieces.
- Optional: serve with avocado and salsa.
- 3 WW points
You might also enjoy these egg bakes:
Italian Egg Bake with Prosciutto and Vegetables
Hearty Western Omelet Egg Bake
Leave a Reply