Meet your new favorite grab-and-go breakfast or healthy snack: these chocolate chip almond oat bars are the perfect amount of sweetness but with a healthy twist. These bars are packed with flavor and texture, from the almond extract and cinnamon, to the crunch of almonds and chocolate chips. Grab a bar along with a piece of fruit or yogurt for the ultimate quick, no-cook breakfast. Or, grab one when that afternoon crash hits for a pick-me-up you can feel great about eating.
All about these chocolate chip almond oat bars
This recipe was created when I realized that I love having an easy grab and go breakfast option for busy days. I love grabbing a soft baked oatmeal bar or cookie with a banana for a car ride. It requires no reheating, and it’s a great healthy option to have on hand not only for breakfast, but for a quick snack or dessert. These bars are similar in flavor to my baked oatmeal recipes, and similar in terms of ingredients as well. The one difference is the addition of eggs here, and the fact that no bananas are used in this recipe. The swap in ingredients results in a firmer texture, which holds up to being held and eaten by hand.
If you like the flavor profile of these oat bars, you might also enjoy these recipes:
What you will need to make these chocolate chip almond oat bars
- old fashioned oats
- If you need this recipe to be gluten free, make sure you buy certified gluten free oats.
- coconut sugar
- I use coconut sugar to sweeten recipes; the one I use is from Thrive Market.
- Coconut sugar is a natural sugar, made from coconut palm sap.
- If you do not have or can not find coconut sugar, you can use any type of sugar: cane sugar, brown sugar, or sugar replacements.
- almond extract
- The almond extract in this recipe gives the recipe a great flavor, stronger than vanilla extract.
- Almond extract gives recipes a distinct flavor, reminiscent of a cookie.
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- unsweetened applesauce
- Unsweetened applesauce adds sweetness to this recipe.
- Using a sweetening agent like this allows for the use of less added sugar.
- almond milk
- no sugar added chocolate chips
- I use the brand Hu; they are sweetened with dates.
- My code STEPH saves 20% on the Hu website: click here to purchase.
- slivered almonds
How to make these chocolate chip almond oat bars
To make these bars, start by preheating the oven to 350F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, and half of the chocolate chips and almonds. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips and almonds on top of the mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until set up. Allow to cool and then cut into 8 pieces.
Chocolate Chip Almond Oat Bars
- mixing bowl
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 oz no sugar added chocolate chips, used: Hu brand
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9x 13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats with the coconut sugar, cinnamon, almond extract, baking powder and kosher salt.
- Add the applesauce, milk and eggs.
- Stir to combine. Fold in half of the chocolate chips and almonds.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and top with the remaining chocolate chips and almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set up. Allow to cool and cut into 8 bars.
You might also enjoy these recipes: