Your favorite chicken dish transformed into meatballs! My Skinny Florentine Chicken Meatballs in Pan Sauce take chicken meatballs to the next level. This pan sauce is decadent yet lightened-up, utilizing ingredients like reduced fat cream cheese, reduced sodium chicken broth, shallots and lemon. Fresh spinach is added to balance it all out and add an extra dose of healthy ingredients. The recipe makes 20 meatballs, so there’s plenty to share–or keep it all for yourself for the rest of the week!
All about my Skinny Florentine Chicken Meatballs in Pan Sauce
Traditional meatballs are great–check out my Italian Beef Meatballs here–but this recipe is proof that you can do so much more with them! This recipe is inspired by Florentine Chicken, a restaurant favorite. Once you fall in love with the flavors of these Skinny Florentine Chicken Meatballs in Pan Sauce, check out my Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken for another easy weeknight meal.
This recipe list may seem daunting, but trust me when I tell you that you already have a lot of these ingredients on hand. If you’re a regular to the blog, you’ll recognize some of my frequently used ingredients like ground chicken, egg, shallots, garlic, etc. It doesn’t have to be complicated!
This recipe yields 20 meatballs, with 5 meatballs per serving. These meatballs go great served over pasta, or with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
- Ground chicken breast
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Grated pecorino romano cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Lemon zest
- White wine
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Lemon juice
- Reduced sodium chicken broth
- Fresh spinach
- Reduced fat cream cheese
What to do if you can’t find ground chicken breast
This recipe calls for 99% fat free ground chicken breast (you can always use turkey breast too!) So what on earth is one to do if you can’t find it in the stores? Granted, you could always use the 93% fat free kind, but we all know the calories and points for that is almost as high as ground beef; and if you ask me, I’d rather use the ground beef! When I went to the store to get my ingredients for this recipe, they were out of the ground chicken breast. So instead, I remembered the tip I got from my friend Biz (http://www.mybizzykitchen.com); I bought regular chicken breast, and used my food processor to grind it up. Within seconds, I had my own ground chicken breast. It couldn’t be easier. And nine times out of ten, it’s cheaper too. Next time you are in this rut, do yourself a favor and grind up your own chicken breast. It’s such a life saver!
How to make these Skinny Florentine Chicken Meatballs in Pan Sauce
Skinny Florentine Chicken Meatballs in Pan Sauce
- mixing bowl
- casserole dish
- frying pan
- 1 lb ground chicken breast, 98-99% fat free
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp pecorino Romano, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1.5 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mince the parsley, garlic, and shallot.
- Add them to a bowl with the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumb, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and zest of a lemon. Mix together with your hands and form into 20 meatballs, using a small cookie scoop.
- Add olive oil spray to a frying pan over medium heat. Working in two batches, sear the meatballs on all sides until golden brown (they will not be cooked through).
- Place the partially cooked meatballs into a baking dish, and finish cooking in the oven at 375F for 20 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165F.
- To make the pan sauce, slice the remaining 3 shallots and add them to the same pan you cooked the meatballs in, sprayed with olive oil spray. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Once the wine is evaporated, sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the shallots.
- Pour in the juice of the lemon and the chicken broth. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the cream cheese.
- Finally, add the spinach to the pan and cover with a lid to wilt the leaves.
- When the meatballs are done cooking, add them to the sauce in the pan and toss to coat. Simmer in the sauce until ready to serve.
- 5 meatballs and sauce, 3 points