Skillet meals are perfect for so many reasons: they are easy to make, they only use one pan, they are a crowd-pleaser, and they reheat really well. The fact that they reheat well is also ideal for meal prep. This chicken sausage, pepper and cauliflower rice skillet is no exception! Packed with flavor and easy to make, this dish starts out with sautéed peppers and onions and a flavorful spice blend, which gets combined with chicken sausage, rice, and cauliflower rice. Topped with mozzarella cheese, this dish comes together in less than 30 minutes, and is filling and delicious.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
This recipe is as simple as it sounds! Here’s all you need:
- sweet Italian chicken sausage
- I used Nature’s Promise Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Links.
- You can use any chicken sausage links you have access to, however the nutritional information might differ than the information noted below.
- This product is fully-cooked, so I only warm the sausages through and get some color on them.
- Here is a link to the sausages I used.
- bell peppers
- cooked brown rice
- frozen cauliflower rice
- part-skim mozzarella
- fresh parsley
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried basil
- kosher salt
How to make this chicken sausage, pepper and cauliflower rice skillet
From start to finish, this recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make, and all in one skillet. Start out by chopping the peppers and onions, while you preheat the skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray to the skillet, and add the peppers and onions. In the meantime, combine the ingredients for the spice blend. Add the vegetables to the skillet along with 2 teaspoons of the spice blend. Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove the vegetables from the skillet, and set aside.
Slice the fully cooked sausage and add it to the same skillet with more olive oil spray. Cook the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until just browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Add the frozen cauliflower rice to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until it is fully defrosted and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the cooked brown rice followed by the remaining spice blend. Add the cooked vegetables and chicken sausage back to the pan, and stir to combine.
Garnish with the parsley. Top with the mozzarella cheese, and put a lid on the skillet to melt the cheese over medium low heat.
This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, with minimal cleanup or prep time!
View this post on Instagram
Great for a weeknight meal or meal prep lunch for the week!
This recipe is so easy to prepare with minimal ingredients, it makes for the perfect quick weeknight meal. It also portions out easily (it makes 4 portions at 1 1/2 cups each) and reheats beautifully for meal prep. Just pop it in the microwave or back onto the stovetop for a quick reheat. This meal has all of your basic macronutrients as well: protein, fat, carbs and it’s veggie packed!
*To make this recipe low carb, simply eliminate the brown rice, and use all cauliflower rice.
Chicken Sausage, Pepper and Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- skillet or frying pan
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 onions, medium, chopped
- 12 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, fully cooked, sliced; used: Nature's Promise Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 10 oz cauliflower rice, frozen
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella
- olive oil spray
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Chop the bell peppers and the onions. Combine the spice blend ingredients.
- Add them to the skillet with olive oil spray, and 2 teaspoons of the spice blend.
- Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Slice the cooked chicken sausage and add it to the same skillet with olive oil spray.
- Cook the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides (since it is fully cooked).
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the frozen cauliflower rice to the same pan with more olive oil spray, and cook for about 5 minutes or until all moisture has evaporated from the pan.
- Add the cooked brown rice and stir to combine. Add the remaining seasoning blend and stir.
- Add the cooked vegetables and sausage back to the pan, stir to combine.
- Garnish with the parsley. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with a lid over medium low heat, and melt the cheese.
If you like the flavor profile of this dish, you might also enjoy these recipes: