This soup is a delicious bowl of comfort; perfect for the transition to colder weather months, this soup is hearty, nutrient-rich, and simple to make. Tortellini soup with chicken sausage and spinach starts out with delicious sweet Italian chicken sausage, as the base. Flavored with diced tomatoes, chicken broth, vegetables, and cheesy, decadent tortellini, this soup is a flavor explosion in every bite. The serving size for this soup is generous, making it the perfect lunch or dinner; great served alone, or alongside a salad or sandwich, this tortellini soup is a crowd-pleaser.
All about this tortellini soup
I get asked for soup recipes all the time. The truth is, I am not a huge soup person. I think mostly because whenever I eat soup, I am always left unsatisfied and looking for something else. But when it comes to a soup like this one, it has everything I look for in a meal: it’s packed with healthy veggies (carrots, celery, onion, and tons of spinach), it’s got a flavorful broth (this one is tomato-based), and it’s got pasta… but not just any pasta, cheese-filled tortellini! This soup is filling and delicious. It’s packed with protein because of the chicken sausage and the cheesy tortellini, and is a meal on it’s own. Tortellini soup makes a great meal for the family, and also makes for a great meal prep lunch for the week. Simply store the soup in mason jars in individual portions for the week, and reheat in the microwave for a quick lunch mid-week. If you need something alongside your soups, this soup would pair perfectly with a fresh garden salad.
What you will need to make tortellini soup with chicken sausage and spinach
Here is the list of ingredients for this recipe, including links to the specific brands I used. Make sure to update your recipe calculations for the specific brands you used, since items like chicken sausage and tortellini vary greatly in their macros.
- sweet Italian chicken sausage
- Italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- tomato paste
- canned diced tomatoes
- reduced sodium chicken broth
- frozen cheese tortellini
How to make tortellini soup with chicken sausage and spinach
To make this recipe, start out by prepping your vegetables. Dice the carrots, celery and onion, and mince the garlic. Preheat the Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Spray the pot with olive oil spray. In the meantime, remove the sausage links from the casings to reveal the chicken sausage meat. Add the meat to the pot, and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook the meat for about 5 minutes or until it starts to brown. It will still be pink inside. Next, add more olive oil spray to the pan, and then add the carrots, celery and onion. Cook the vegetables for another 5 minutes or until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Next, add the Italian seasoning, salt, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Pour in the diced tomatoes with their juices, followed by the broth. Stir to combine, and bring the liquid to a boil. Cook the soup for 20 minutes. Then, add the tortellini and the spinach. Cook the tortellini according to package directions, or until they float to the top of the pot and are tender. Taste for seasoning.
This soup makes six servings at 1.5 cups each.
Tortellini Soup with Chicken Sausage and Spinach
- dutch oven or large pot
- 5 links sweet Italian chicken sausage, 14 oz package, I use Premio brand
- olive oil spray
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz diced tomatoes, canned, with juices
- 48 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz cheese tortellini, frozen, appx 3.5 cups, I used Gina Italian Village brand
- 8 oz spinach, fresh
- Prep the vegetables: dice the carrots, celery and onion. Mince the garlic.
- Preheat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray.
- Slice into the sausage to remove the sausage meat from the casings. Discard the casings.
- Add the sausage to the pot. Break apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the sausage for 5 minutes or until it starts to brown. It will still be partially pink.
- Add more olive oil spray, and then add the diced carrots, celery and onion.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes and broth. Stir well.
- Bring the liquid to a boil; simmer the soup for 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed.
- Add the tortellini to the broth, and the spinach. Stir to combine.
- Cook the tortellini (according to package directions) or until they float to the top and are tender.
- 6 WW points (all plans)
If you are looking for more soup recipes, check these out: Creamy Potato Leek Soup Butternut Squash Soup with Sour Cream Drizzle and Pistachios Healthy Tomato Bisque