This healthy cheesy broccoli and chicken casserole is total comfort food, made in one pot. Broccoli and tender chicken breast is simmered in a homemade creamy cheese sauce, and then topped with flaky crescent rolls and baked to golden perfection. This recipe is family friendly and super easy to prepare. Made in one pot and in about 30 minutes, this recipe is sure to become your favorite weeknight meal, with minimal cleanup. Made with healthy ingredients and lightened-up, this dish tastes anything but “healthy.”
All about this recipe
If you love my healthier chicken pot pie recipe, this one is for you! This is a similar recipe, with a pot pie-type texture, but with a cheesy broccoli spin. This dish starts out with sauteed carrots and onion, and then the pan sauce is built from there; a sprinkle of flour is used to thicken the sauce, which is made with chicken broth and milk. Finally, a cup of sharp cheddar cheese is stirred in at the end to create a velvety, cheesy sauce.
The sauce coats tender chunks of chicken breast and steamed broccoli florets, and then the entire dish is topped with flaky crescent roll dough. Baked until golden, the top of this dish is flaky and tender, and the inside is warm and comforting. It makes for the perfect weeknight comfort meal, except lightened-up (but you wouldn’t know it!).
What you will need to make healthy cheesy broccoli and chicken casserole
- light butter
- I have been using this one: Light (icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com)
- all-purpose flour
- chicken broth
- 2% milk
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cooked chicken breast
- You will need 4 cups for this recipe; I used a large rotisserie chicken and it was just the right amount.
- broccoli florets
- reduced fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- I used this one, and it is delicious.
- Fat free cheese won’t hold up well in this recipe.
- reduced fat crescent rolls
- You will need half of a package for this recipe; use the other half of the package for something else!
How to make healthy cheesy broccoli and chicken casserole
Start out by preheating the oven to 375F. Chop the carrots and onion, and chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Chop the broccoli into bite-sized florets and steam them (this is an important step to achieve the right texture for this recipe).
Melt the butter over medium heat in the pan; I advise using an oven-safe dish to minimize clean up. I used a shallow Dutch oven, but a cast iron pan would work well too. Add the chopped carrot and onion, and cook for a few minutes until soft and tender. Add olive oil spray to the pan, and sprinkle the flour on top of the vegetables. Cook the flour for a minute.
Add the stock, and bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to thicken. Then, add the milk and allow the liquids to simmer together and incorporate. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and chopped scallions. Next, stir in the cheese to create the cheese sauce.
Finally, fold in the cooked broccoli and chicken. Then, top the dish with the crescent roll dough. Spray with olive oil spray, and add a pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Healthy Cheesy Broccoli and Chicken Casserole
- shallow Dutch oven
- or, frying pan and casserole dish
- 2 tablespoon light butter, I used: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Light
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, if you are using reduced sodium, you might have to add more salt to taste
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 4 cups steamed broccoli florets, make sure they are steamed, or use frozen defrosted broccoli with all water drained out
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast, I used a rotisserie chicken
- Half of an 8 oz package of reduced fat crescent rolls, 4 rolls
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Melt the butter in a the pan over medium heat. I advise using an oven-proof dish for this, to minimize clean up (I used a shallow Dutch oven, but a cast iron would work also).
- Sauté the carrots and onion for 5-6 minutes or until they get soft and start to brown.
- Add the olive oil spray to the pan, and sprinkle the flour on top of the vegetables.
- Stir the flour to combine with the vegetables. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, stir to combine, and allow the mixture to come to a simmer and thicken slightly.
- Stir in the milk and simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until it combines with the other ingredients.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and koser salt. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the shredded cheese. The sauce should be thick, but not too thick.
- Add the chopped scallions.
- Stir in the steamed broccoli florets and cooked chicken.
- Make sure that each piece of broccoli and chicken is coated in the sauce and evenly distributed within the dish.
- (If using a non-oven safe dish, transfer the mixture to a baking dish).
- Cover the dish with the crescent rolls. Spray with olive oil spray and add a small sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden brown to your liking. Since everything is cooked inside, cook the pie until you feel it's done!
- 6 WW points
You might also like these broccoli and cheese recipes: