Who says chicken has to be boring? My Honey Lime Skillet Chicken Bites are covered in a homemade marinade with honey, lime, soy sauce, garlic, fresh cilantro, and a few other simple ingredients. The marinade is so fresh and flavorful, you’ll keep this recipe in your rotation all year long. The steps for this recipe couldn’t be easier, so it makes for a great weeknight meal to throw together in a pinch. This family-friendly recipes serves great over rice and with a vegetable.
All about these Honey Lime Skillet Chicken Bites
The ingredients in this recipe are all items that most households will have on hand: honey, lime juice, low sodium soy sauce, garlic, cilantro, etc. Although the ingredients are simple, together they create a delicious and flavorful marinade that coat these tender chunks of chicken in a beautiful way.
This recipe is easy to make, even for the most beginner cooks; the chicken is simply left to marinate and then pan seared quickly. The total cook time for the chicken is only 10-15 minutes. The best part is that you can leave your chicken in the fridge to marinate all day when you’re at work and come back to a refreshing, filling meal that’s ready in just about 10 minutes.
This marinade utilizes strategic ingredients compared to other marinade recipes you’ll find online. Most marinades call for tons of oil, which racks up the calorie count. This recipe calls for lime juice, low sodium soy sauce, etc. so you still get tons of flavor for a fraction of the calories.
Serve this delicious dish alongside a starch like rice and your favorite vegetable.
If you love this recipe, you should try my Healthy Garlic Lemon Chicken Bites. This recipe also utilizes simple ingredients and is ready in no time! I also recommend my Healthy Yogurt Marinated Chicken. I love to serve the yogurt marinated chicken in a pita with tzatziki, shredded lettuce, grilled onions, and tomatoes.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
- Chicken breast
- Lime zest
- Fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Note: I recommend using a cast iron skillet like the one I’ve linked here from Le Creuset.
How to make these Honey Lime Chicken Skillet Bites
Start by combining the honey, lime zest, lime juice, low sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro in a mixing bowl.
Next, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss them in the marinade. Marinate in the fridge, covered for a minimum of 4 hours (or all day is fine).
Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray, and sauté the chicken pieces on all sides until golden brown and cooked through (internal temperature should be165F). The chicken will cook for a total of about 10 minutes.
Honey Lime Skillet Chicken Bites
- skillet or frying pan
- 2 lbs chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lime, zest & 2 tbsp of juice
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp cilantro, fresh; chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine the honey, lime zest, lime juice, low sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized chunks. Toss in marinade.
- Marinate in the fridge, covered for a minimum of 4 hours (all day is fine).
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil spray, and saute the chicken pieces on one side for 5 minutes; flip and reduce the heat to medium to continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Cook on all sides until golden brown and cooked through (internal temperature should be 165F).
- Note: there will be marinade leftover in the bowl; discard.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to create the pan sauce.
- Mince the shallots. Add more olive oil spray to the pan, and add the shallots to the pan.
- Saute for 5 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the chicken broth and lime juice. Add the kosher salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken bites back to the pan and toss in the sauce.
- Finish with more lime juice.
- 2 WW points
Sick of boring chicken recipes? Me too! Try one of these recipes below: