These healthy garlic lemon chicken bites are the easiest weeknight meal you’ll ever make! Tender chunks of chicken breast are tossed in a flavorful mixture of flour, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and lemon zest before being pan seared. The finishing touch is a squeeze of lemon, fresh garlic and light butter. After simmering for just a couple of minutes, these chicken bites are ready for serving alongside your favorite side dishes, like over creamy mashed potatoes and with a vegetable. Add this easy recipe to your rotation, made with lots of pantry staples and family-friendly, too.
All about this recipe
This recipe was born when I wanted to make a quick, homecooked dinner when I was feeling under the weather. I looked in my fridge and pantry, and pulled out a handful of ingredients and some chicken breast, and this recipe was created. The ingredients in this recipe are all items that most households will have on hand: flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, garlic, lemon, and light butter. Although the ingredients are simple, together they create a delicious and flavorful quick pan sauce that coat these tender chunks of chicken in a beautiful way.
This recipe is easy to make, even for the most beginner cooks; the chicken is simply tossed in flour and pan seared quickly. The total cook time for the chicken is only 10-15 minutes. The best part is that in the same pan, simply toss the sauce ingredients with the chicken to finish the dish, making a delicious and family friendly meal in just 20 minutes.
Finally, serve this delicious dish alongside a starch like mashed potatoes or rice, and your favorite vegetable.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
- chicken breast
- all-purpose flour
- You can substitute gluten-free flour, if you wish.
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- You’ll need the zest and the juice of the lemon.
- olive oil spray
- light butter
- I used this one: Light (icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com)
How to make these garlic lemon chicken bites
Start out by cutting the chicken breast into bite-sized chunks. Add the flour to a bowl, and add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and lemon zest to the flour. Toss to combine.
Toss the chicken bites in the flour to coat thoroughly. In the meantime, preheat a skillet or small Dutch oven over medium high heat, and add olive oil spray. Working in two batches, sear the first batch of chicken for a couple of minutes per side, until golden brown on the outside and thoroughly cooked. Add more olive oil spray on the tops of the chicken as needed. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165F (you should use a meat thermometer to determine when the chicken is fully cooked). The total cook time of the chicken will be about 5-7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Remove the first batch of the chicken, and place it in a clean bowl to the side. Repeat this step with the remaining chicken. Remove the second batch of chicken from the pan and set aside. Reduce the heat on the skillet to medium to medium low. Next, wipe the skillet clean with a damp cloth to remove any burnt bits from the pan. Finally, add the cooked chicken back to the skillet, and then add the minced garlic, juice of the lemon, and the light butter. Toss the chicken bits in the sauce and simmer it on low heat for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Healthy Garlic Lemon Chicken Bites
- skillet or small Dutch oven
- 2 lbs chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup light butter, used: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (Light)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized chunks.
- Zest the lemon.
- Add the flour, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and lemon zest to a bowl.
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Toss the chicken chunks in the flour mixture to coat the chicken evenly.
- Preheat the skillet over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil spray to the pan.
- Working in 2 batches, add half of the chicken to the skillet and cook for a few minutes per side.
- Cook the chicken until the outside is golden brown, and the inside is cooked through (temperature should be 165F internally). Add more olive oil spray on top of the chicken, and again as needed.
- Total cook time for the chicken should be about 5-7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces.
- Remove the first batch of cooked chicken from the skillet, and repeat the cooking process with the remaining chicken.
- Mince the garlic, and juice the lemon.
- Remove the second batch of cooked chicken from the skillet.
- Wipe the skillet clean with a wet towel if there are burnt bits in the pan.
- Lower the heat under the skillet to medium low.
- Add the cooked chicken chunks back to the pan, and add the minced garlic, juice of the lemon, and the light butter.
- Toss the chicken with the garlic, lemon and butter in the skillet.
- Cook the sauce and the chicken for another couple of minutes or until the flavors combine.
- Serve immediately.
- 2 WW points
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Leave a Reply