Your favorite takeout with a healthy twist! My Healthy Cashew Chicken is sure to satisfy your takeout cravings for a fraction of the calories. Say goodbye to expensive, salty takeout and add this recipe to your dinner rotation. Fakeout takeout recipes are a blog favorite because they’re proof that healthy eating doesn’t mean boring. Chicken breast, bell peppers, scallions, low sodium soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce are some of the signature ingredients that keep this recipe flavorful and lightened-up. This Healthy Cashew Chicken will keep you feeling satisfied. You’re sure to impress with this recipe!
Fakeout takeout meals
My website is full of lightened-up takeout inspired meals. They are some of your favorites! Whether it’s my Lightened-Up Sesame Chicken, Air Fried Pork Egg Rolls, Healthy Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken, Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice and beyond there’s something that everybody loves! These Chinese food inspired recipes are easy to lighten up with a few simple ingredient swaps. Even better–many of the fakeout takeout recipes on my blog tend to use similar ingredients–so don’t worry–that sesame oil isn’t going to waste!
The next time you’re in a rut about what to make for dinner, lean on these recipes. They’ll keep you on track with your health goals and save you from getting bored of lightened-up recipes. They’re great for a delicious weeknight dinner, but also perfect for a fun weekend dinner the whole family will love.
What you will need to make Healthy Cashew Chicken
Like I stated earlier, a lot of these ingredients are similar to other takeout-inspired meals on my blog. If it’s not already considered a pantry staple in your home, it’s worth stocking up on these ingredients and trying out some of the other recipes on the blog as well!
- Ginger (squeeze tube)
- Bell peppers
- Chicken breast
- Corn starch
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Coconut sugar
- Sesame oil
- Chili garlic sauce
How to make Healthy Cashew Chicken
To start, chop the scallions, making sure to separate the white and green parts. Follow by mincing the garlic. Heat a large frying pan or walk over medium high heat. Add nonstick cooking spray to the pan, and add the white parts of the scallions, the garlic, and the ginger. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Chop the bell peppers and add them to the pan. Cover with a lid to help the peppers steam. Cook the peppers for about 10 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Next, combine the kosher salt with the corn starch. Cube the chicken breast and toss the pieces in the corn starch and kosher salt mixture. Add more cooking spray to the same pan you used for the bells peppers, and add the coated chicken pieces (working in batches to prevent over crowding). Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through (internal temperature should be 165F). Remove the chicken from the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Now, combine the sauce ingredients.
Add the cooked peppers to the pan with the cooked chicken, and then add the sauce. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes on medium low heat or until the flavors meld and the sauce thickens. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions.
I recommend serving this with rice and a vegetable. You may opt for simple white or brown rice with broccoli–or try my Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice!
Healthy Cashew Chicken
- frying pan or wok
Chicken and Vegetables
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3 scallions, chopped; white and green separated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, squeeze tube
- 2 bell peppers, about 3 cups, chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- Chop the scallions and separate the white and green parts.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add non-stick spray to the pan, and add the white parts of the scallions, the garlic and the ginger. Saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Chop the bell peppers and add them to the pan. Cover with a lid to help the peppers steam. Cook the peppers for about 10 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the kosher salt with the corn starch.
- Cube the chicken and toss the pieces on the corn starch.
- Add more cooking spray to the same pan, and add the coated chicken pieces (working in batches to prevent over crowding).
- Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through (internal temperature should be 165F). Remove the chicken from the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Combine the sauce ingredients.
- Add the cooked peppers to the pan with the cooked chicken, and then add the sauce. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes on medium low heat or until the flavors meld and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cashews and garnish with the green parts of the scallions.
- Optional: serve with rice and a vegetable.
- 5 WW points