Naturally sweetened mixed berry chia jam is so versatile and delicious! This jam is sweetened with organic maple syrup, which lets the flavors of the berries shine through. Chia seeds help thicken this jam, and provide health benefits, as well. This jam is made right on the stovetop with a few simple ingredients, and in minutes. Spread it on toast, add it to oatmeal or yogurt, or even spread it on your favorite sandwich for added sweetness and flavor. This is a delicious sweet jam without all of the added ingredients!
What are the benefits of adding chia seeds to this recipe?
Chia seeds are tiny black or white seeds that come from the Salvia Hispanica plant. They are highly nutritious, loaded with antioxidants which help with inflammation and overall health (some studies suggest chia seeds contribute to cardiovascular health and blood sugar levels). Chia seeds are also packed with fiber and high quality protein. Because of their small size, they are so easy to incorporate into dishes (some examples are overnight oats, yogurt bowls, or in baked goods). The incorporation of chia seeds into this mixed berry jam helps thicken the jam, and since they are essentially flavorless, they add so many benefits without changing the overall flavor of this jam.
How to use mixed berry chia jam
This jam is so versatile. You can use it as a spread like any other jam; on toast or sandwiches, or served with a charcuterie board with your favorite meats, cheeses and crackers. You can also use this delicious healthy jam in your oatmeal or yogurt bowls, in overnight oats, or alongside your favorite healthy ice cream for a sweet treat. The possibilities are endless!
If stored in an air tight container in the fridge, this jam will last weeks just like your other favorite jams. The best part about this jam, is that it is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, which enhances the natural sweetness of the berries. This jam does not contain any artificial sweeteners or sugar replacements, either. You can feel great about eating this delicious, healthy chia seed jam.
What you will need to make this recipe
To make this recipe, you will only need a few key ingredients:
- frozen berries
- I used frozen strawberries and blueberries.
- I chose to use frozen berries for this recipe because they are easy to access even during the winter months, and are picked and froze at their peak ripeness. Frozen berries can also be more economical than fresh, at times.
- You can use fresh berries here, however make sure they are ripe and sweet, as their flavor will dictate the flavor of this jam.
- The cook time for this jam will also change if you use fresh berries; the cook time will decrease dramatically. The jam should be done in under 15 minutes if you are using fresh berries. Use your judgment based on the texture!
- lemon zest
- vanilla extract
- organic, pure maple syrup
- Not the sugar free kind, and not the pancake syrup kind! This is the real deal, pure maple syrup.
- chia seeds
- I use these, found on Amazon
What’s better than an ingredient list less than 5 ingredients? Can’t beat that!
How to make stove top naturally sweetened mixed berry chia jam
This recipe couldn’t be easier to throw together. Simply add the frozen berries to a small sauce pan, and zest the lemon into the berries. Turn the heat on medium high, and let the berries begin to melt. Add the maple syrup. Cook the berries, stirring to prevent sticking, for about 20-30 minutes or until they are broken down and become syrup-like in texture. Then, remove the jam from the heat, and stir in the chia seeds.
Note: If you are using fresh berries, the cook time will decrease, as they won’t take as long to defrost and cook down. The cook time will decrease to closer to 15 minutes if using fresh berries. Just use your judgment to tell you when the jam looks to your desired consistency. Also, make sure your berries are at their peak ripeness and sweetness, as their flavor will dictate the flavor of the jam.
From start to finish, this recipe utilizes under 5 ingredients, and is ready in under half an hour. It couldn’t be easier!
Naturally Sweetened Mixed Berry Chia Jam
- small saucepan
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 3 cups frozen strawberries 16 ounce bag
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add the frozen berries to a small saucepan. Turn the heat on to medium high.
- Zest the lemon and add it to the saucepan with the berries.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Cook the mixture over medium to medium high heat for about 20-30 minutes, or until the berries are cooked down and broken down.
- Make sure to scrape the sides down with a spatula as the jam cooks to prevent sticking.
- If the jam is watery, do not worry; the chia seeds will fix that.
- Remove the jam from the heat, and stir the chia seeds in.
- 1 tbsp = 0 WW points (green, blue and purple plans)
- up to 1/4 cup = 1 WW point (green, blue and purple plans)
If you like mixed berries, you might also enjoy these recipes: