Dinner just got a whole lot easier! Meet your new favorite weeknight slow cooker meal: my Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken. This recipe features chicken breast slow cooked with shallots and red pepper strips for three hours. Half & half and parmesan cheese combine to create a decadent sauce you can’t get enough of. Fresh spinach ties it all together, leaving you with a home cooked meal that feels like it’s straight out of your favorite restaurant! Serve over pasta or with mashed potatoes for the perfect dish your whole family will love.
All about my Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken
Slow cooker meals are some of my most-loved and most-requested recipes. I get why you all love them–I do too! They’re easy to put together, make for less dishes to clean, and you can set them to cook while you take care of the other responsibilities in your busy lives.
However, as I’ve said before, I have a love/hate relationship with the slow cooker. There’s a fine line between a delicious well-cooked meal and mushy, sloppy mess. You can trust that my slow cooker recipes will do well texturally. I’m picky about flavor and texture myself, so I would never share a recipe before I thought the texture was perfect. In most of my other slow cooker recipes like my Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken and Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken I opted to shred the chicken. This Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken is great as is. You’re sure to have a meal that is tender, flavorful, and complimented well by the sauce, spinach, and roasted red pepper strips.
What you’ll need to make Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken
Here is everything you need to make this slow cooker recipe:
- Chicken breast
- You should aim to have 4 full chicken breasts, so that each serving gets one piece.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Roasted red pepper strips (packed in water)
- Like the ones I’ve linked here
- You can also use roasted red peppers packed in water, and chop them yourself.
- Chicken broth
- I do not use reduced sodium for this recipe. If you do use reduced sodium, you might have to add more salt to taste later on.
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Half & half
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Corn starch
- Fresh parsley (chopped)
- Fresh basil (chopped)
How to make this recipe
Start by combining your spices together. Once you’ve created this spice blend, season the chicken on all sides. Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Slice the shallot and add it on top of the chicken with the red pepper strips. Pour the chicken broth over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
After 3 hours, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Once the chicken is removed, stir in the half & half and parmesan cheese. Combine the corn starch with the water to form a slurry and pour that in. Stir to combine.
Place the chicken back in the slow cooker. Now, you can add in the spinach.
Cook for another 30 minutes on HIGH. Finish with fresh chopped parsley and basil. Taste for seasoning.
Light Slow Cooker Florentine Chicken
- slow cooker or crock pot
- 2 lbs chicken breast 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- fresh cracker pepper to taste
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 cup roasted red pepper strips packed in water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 oz fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Combine the spices together, and then season the chicken on all sides with the spice blend.
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Slice the shallot and add it on top of the chicken with the red pepper strips, and pour the chicken broth over.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours
- After 3 hours, remove the chicken from the crockpot.
- Stir in the half and half and parmesan cheese.
- Combine the corn starch with the water to form a slurry and pour that in.
- Stir to combine, and then add the chicken back in and the fresh spinach.
- Cook for another half hour on HIGH.
- Finish with the fresh chopped parsley and basil.
- Optional: serve over pasta or with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
- 5 WW points (blue and purple plans)
- 7 WW points (green plan)
Love a slow cooker meal? Me too! Try one of my other easy slow cooker recipes that make dinner time a breeze:
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders with Pickle Slaw
- Healthy Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
And if you are looking for something a little sweet and perfect for Fall, meal prep my Apple Pie Filling for the perfect addition to any oatmeal or yogurt bowl! Also made in the slow cooker, this recipe is beyond easy to prepare, cooks itself, and makes your entire home smell like fall.