Looking for the easiest, quickest meal prep ever with just a handful of ingredients that truly packs a punch? Try this light bang bang ground chicken skillet. Ground chicken is cooked quickly in a skillet, flavored with garlic, ginger and scallions, then tossed quickly in a bang bang sauce made with mayo, chili sauce and sriracha. This ground chicken mixture is perfect in lettuce cups for a light but filling lunch. Serve alongside your favorite veggie for a perfectly well-rounded meal.
What you’ll need to make this light bang bang ground chicken skillet
You will surprisingly only need a handful of ingredients to make this recipe come together:
- ground chicken breast
- If you can not find ground chicken breast in your store (or it is expensive!) you can use a package of regular chicken breast and grind it up in the food processor
- For Asian-inspired recipes, I always divide the white and green parts of the scallions and use them separately.
- The white parts of the scallions serve as the onion base for flavoring the recipe, and the green parts are used for the finishing garnish for the dish.
- I like using ginger from the squeeze tube (found in the produce section of the grocery store) for recipes like this, because it is easier than peeling and mincing fresh ginger, and it stores really well in the fridge.
- light mayo
- You can use any mayo you like, I ultimately chose to use light mayo to cut down on the calories for this dish; this is the one I use: Light Mayonnaise | Hellmann’s | Hellmann’s US (hellmanns.com)
- sweet chili sauce
- I used this one: Asian Sweet Chili Sauce | La Choy
- sesame seeds
- lettuce cups
- Romaine lettuce, iceberg or butter lettuce work really well here.
- You want a nice, sturdy lettuce that will hold up to the ground chicken filling.
How to make this recipe
It couldn’t be easier to make this light bang bang ground chicken skillet. It is ready in under ten minutes, making it the perfect meal prep for four days, or a quick and easy weeknight meal.
To make this recipe, start out by chopping the scallions and separating the white and green parts. Mince the garlic. In a frying pan, heat up cooking spray over medium heat, and add the minced garlic, white parts of the scallions, and the ginger. Saute for about 1-2 minutes or until just fragrant, then add the ground chicken.
Cook the chicken until no longer pink. In the meantime, combine the mayo, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha in a small bowl to form the sauce. Add the sauce to the cooked chicken and toss to coat. Top with the green parts of the scallions and the sesame seeds. Serve in lettuce cups with more sriracha to taste.
Perfect for meal prep
For meal prep, I recommend pairing the ground chicken with cauliflower rice for a filling side dish. Pack the lettuce cups separately to prevent them from getting soggy. I like to keep the lettuce cups in a ziploc bag with paper towels to keep them super dry. This recipe makes four servings, at 1/2 cup per serving. You can reheat the chicken, or even eat it cold, whatever you prefer!
For my meal prep, I used a riced cauliflower stir-fry blend (found in the freezer section of the grocery store) which includes carrots, corn, peas, and some seasonings that taste just like fried rice. I find this to be the perfect accompaniment to a dish like this! It is easy to prepare (simply microwave or pop in a skillet on the stove top) and it is healthy (and low-carb). You can find a cauliflower rice blend like this at Trader Joe’s, Aldi, or most major supermarkets.
Light Bang Bang Ground Chicken Skillet
- frying pan
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, I use the squeeze tube
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 tsp sriracha
- sesame seeds
- lettuce for serving
- Mince the garlic, and chop the scallions.
- Separate the white and green parts of the scallions.
- Add non-stick cooking spray to the frying pan, followed by the garlic, ginger and white parts of the scallions.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes over medium heat, until they become fragrant.
- Add the ground chicken to the skillet and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine the light mayo, sweet chili sauce and sriracha to form the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the chicken mixture and toss to coat.
- Top with the green parts of the scallions and the sesame seeds.
- Serve in lettuce cups with more sriracha.
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also enjoy these recipes: