This creamy chicken and corn soup is made entirely in the slow cooker, so it couldn’t be easier. Chicken is slow cooked in a flavorful broth along with carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Corn kernels and diced Yukon gold potatoes make for a tasty addition to this soup. Flavored with savory spices, this soup cooks slowly and then turns into a creamy soup with addition of half and half and cream cheese stirred in at the very end. This recipe makes for a great dinner for the family, and a great meal prep for the week!
Not a soup person, but…
I admit that I am normally not the biggest soup fan: but it has been super cold here in New York, and it snowed today! And I wanted something warm and comforting for a change. The only soups I really enjoy are those that have lots of texture to them, and I also really prefer something creamy stirred in. This soup fits the bill!
This creamy chicken soup is similar to a classic chicken soup in that it has all of the familiar characters: onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and of course, chicken. Add some tender Yukon gold potatoes and corn, and you have all of my favorite food groups rolled into one flavorful dish. This soup also gets a touch of creaminess at the end with the addition of half and half and some reduced fat cream cheese.
This soup is filling on it’s own, as the portions are generous: 1 and 2/3 cup portion per serving. Since it’s packed with protein from the chicken, it is pretty filling as a main course. You can also serve it along side grilled cheese or a sandwich for dinner, or for a lighter lunch, serve it alongside a fresh and crisp salad. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Made in the slow cooker
The best part of this recipe is that it is made entirely in the slow cooker! No prep work is involved here, aside from chopping the vegetables: but hey, if you buy the pre-cut kind, you can even save time on that step. You do not need to pre-cook anything here; it all gets dumped into the crockpot and simmers away to become flavorful and delicious. This is the perfect meal for a cold day, or for a busy weeknight meal for the whole family to enjoy. I made it for my family for dinner, and saved two portions for myself for during the week as lunches. It worked out perfectly! To store for later use, I recommend putting individual portions into glass mason jars right in the fridge.
What you will need for this recipe
- uncooked chicken breast
- Yukon gold potatoes
- These are my favorite potatoes because they are so sweet and tender!
- frozen corn
- I used a 10 ounce package, which measures out to about 2 cups of corn.
- chicken stock
- I used regular chicken stock, not reduced sodium here. If you use reduced sodium, you might have to adjust the salt at the end to taste.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- thyme (dried)
- oregano (dried)
- dried bay leaf
- cayenne pepper
- corn starch
- reduced fat cream cheese
- half and half
- fresh parsley
How to make slow cooker creamy chicken and corn soup
This recipe is so easy to make, it’s just a matter of adding everything to the slow cooker and letting it do it’s thing!
After the soup has cooked for either 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW, remove the chicken and shred it, then return it to the slow cooker. Add the half and half, cream cheese, and the slurry you create by mixing the corn starch with water. Then, let it cook for another 30 minutes on HIGH.
Stir in the fresh parsley, remove the bay leaf, and then season to taste with salt and pepper as desired. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Corn Soup
- slow cooker or crock pot
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups corn frozen, equivalent to a 10 oz bag
- 10 oz Yukon gold potatoes chopped into bite-sized pieces, skin on, equivalent to 2 cups
- 2 lbs raw chicken breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock not low sodium, if you use low sodium, you will have to increase the kosher salt to taste
Ingredients to add After Initial Cooking
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Chop the carrots, celery, and onion, and mince the garlic.
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the vegetables and potatoes to the slow cooker, along with the chicken, corn, spices, bay leaf, and chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or LOW for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot, and shred with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the crockpot.
- Stir in the half and half and cream cheese.
- Combine the corn starch with about 2 tbsp of water to dissolve the corn starch, and add it to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for another 30 minutes on HIGH.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 WW points (blue and purple plans)
- 7 WW points (green plan)
You might also enjoy these easy, healthy and hearty soup recipes: