If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal but something special enough to serve to guests, look no further than this garlic and herb stuffed chicken rollups recipe. Thin sliced chicken breast is stuffed with garlic and herb spreadable cheese and mozzarella, then rolled up and coated in seasoned breadcrumbs and baked. This makes for a healthy, filling and flavorful chicken recipe, easy enough to swap out ingredients of your choice.
A great recipe to use up items in your fridge
This recipe is perfect for using odds and ends in your fridge: half a package of ham and some mozzarella sitting in the fridge? Maybe you have a different kind of cheese on hand that needs to be used? The options are endless with a recipe like this one. Swap out any of the ingredients for ingredients of your choice. Chicken rollups are a great way to repurpose items you have on hand, and transform them into something new and delicious.
You can also add fresh spinach to the inside of these rollups for some added nutrients. If you are looking for a similar chicken rollup recipe, check out this recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu Rollups.
I serve this recipe with roasted potatoes and asparagus for an easy meal; everything cooks in the oven at the same time.
What will you need to make garlic and herb stuffed chicken rollups?
To make the recipe just as shown, here is a list of the items you will need:
- chicken breast
- You can either purchase thin-sliced chicken breast (which is what I did here), or you can purchase chicken breast and cut them yourself into six thinner slices.
- Make sure the slices are thin, to allow you to effectively stuff them and roll them up.
- garlic and herb cheese
- I use this one from Alouette: it is the light garlic and herb cheese.
- Alouette is a spreadable cheese, which makes for a great addition to charcuterie boards and for dipping crackers and veggies. I love to have it on hand because it is so versatile.
- I also use Alouette in these recipes: Grilled Vegetable and Egg Wraps and Creamy Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Chicken and Tomatoes.
- light mozzarella cheese
- Any brand will do; here I used the Trader Joe’s version.
- You can also use any other cheese of choice, like Swiss.
- egg whites
- Egg whites are used here to help the breadcrumb coating stick. You can use full eggs if you prefer.
- seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
Making garlic and herb stuffed chicken rollups
To make this recipe, start off by preheating your oven to 375F. Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and pound it thin using a meat tenderizer or rolling pin. This is important in order to get the chicken pieces as thin as possible in order to effectively stuff and roll the chicken. Spread 1 tablespoon of the Alouette on each piece of chicken, followed by a sprinkle of the mozzarella cheese. Roll each piece of chicken up tightly, and secure with toothpicks. Make sure to close the edges of the chicken rollups with a toothpick also, to prevent the cheese from oozing out.
Prepare a dredging station; add the egg whites to a bowl, and the breadcrumbs to a plate. Dip each chicken roll up into the egg whites and then into the breadcrumbs, Spray a baking dish or sheet pan with olive oil spray, add the chicken rollups to the dish, and then spray the tops with more olive oil spray.
Bake the chicken at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F. Broil for 2-3 minutes to make the tops golden brown.
Note: it is normal for the cheese to ooze out of the rollups, even if you secure them with a toothpick. If that happens, you can just serve the cheese that oozes out along side the chicken rollups.
Garlic and Herb Stuffed Chicken Rollups
- sheet pan or baking dish
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into 6 thin pieces
- 6 tbsp reduced fat garlic and herb cheese, used: Alouette
- 2 oz light mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Thinly slice chicken breasts into 6 slices; or use thin-sliced chicken breast.
- Cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound them thin them using a meat tenderizer or rolling pin.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the garlic and herb spread to each chicken piece, and spread it to cover the chicken.
- Add equal amounts of mozzarella to each chicken piece.
- Roll each chicken piece tightly, securing with a toothpick. Close the ends up and secure with a toothpick to help prevent the cheese from oozing out.
- Prepare a dredging station: pour the egg whites into a bowl, and the breadcrumbs into a dish.
- Dip each rollup into the egg white whites, followed by the breadcrumbs. Toss to coat the chicken rollups in the breadcrumbs.
- Spray the baking dish or sheet pan with olive oil spray, and arrange the chicken in the dish. Spray the tops with more olive oil spray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to make the tops golden brown. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- 3 WW points per rollup (green plan)
- 2 WW points per rollup (blue and purple plans)
Leave a Reply