This recipe is the ultimate easy dinner or lunch! It’s packed with protein and nutrients from the chicken and sweet potatoes; it is easy to make and even easier to eat. Cooked sweet potatoes are scooped out and mixed with maple syrup and spices before being filled back in the potato skins; topped with shredded, cooked chicken breast tossed with your favorite BBQ sauce, this is the perfect dish to pair alongside a roasted vegetable like broccoli for a full meal. Add these BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes to your meal plan!
The benefits of eating sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, but packed with nutrients. They are loaded with vitamins, and they help promote gut health and help keep your eyes, bones, and skin healthy. But have I mentioned how delicious they are?
Sweet potatoes are delicious on their own, but even better when mixed with complimentary spices and flavorings like maple syrup, cinnamon, and warm spices like cumin and paprika. This recipe combines those flavors, and then the sweet potatoes get topped with delicious, tender shredded chicken breast tossed in smoky barbeque sauce. Garnished with scallions, this recipe is sweet, savory, filling and nutritious.
The sweet potato portion of this recipe reminds me a lot of my recipe for twice-baked sweet potatoes. They are so delicious if you haven’t tried them yet!
What you will need to make BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
The ingredient list for this recipe is pretty short, and includes lots of pantry staples (like spices, maple syrup, and barbeque sauce). The only items you might have to run out and buy are the sweet potatoes, chicken, and scallions.
- sweet potatoes
- maple syrup
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- cooked chicken breast
- red onion
- barbeque sauce of choice
- I use a lower sugar one, like this sauce
- This is my favorite barbeque sauce, because it is naturally lower in sugar without the use of any artificial sweeteners or sugar replacements.
- You can use your favorite barbeque sauce, or whatever you have on hand. Just make sure to update your macros accordingly.
How to make BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes
To make this recipe, start out with cooked sweet potatoes. To easily cook sweet potatoes, simply put the whole sweet potatoes in your oven at 400F, straight on the oven rack. Roast them for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
Cut the sweet potatoes in half, and then scoop the insides out into a bowl. Add the maple syrup, salt, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and thyme to the bowl and stir well. Add the mixture back into the sweet potato skins and arrange them in a casserole dish.
In a separate bowl, shred the chicken and add the barbeque sauce and chopped red onion. Stir to combine. Pile the chicken mixture on top of each sweet potato. Roast in the oven at 400F for about 10 minutes, just to warm through and brown the tops.
To serve, drizzle more barbeque sauce and garnish with chopped scallions. This recipe is great served with roasted broccoli florets, since you can roast them at the same temperature as the potatoes.
To save time making this recipe, you can cook your sweet potatoes ahead of time, and use a rotisserie chicken like I did here. That will shave down a good amount of prep time for this recipe, and you will be finished in the kitchen in under 20 minutes.
Storage and reheating
Store these BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes covered in the fridge. You can keep them in the dish you cooked them in, or you can portion them out into meal prep containers for the week with your side dish of choice (I chose broccoli here). To reheat, simply pop individual portions into the microwave to take the chill off, and then into a toaster oven, convection oven, or air fryer to crisp up.
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- mixing bowls
- casserole dish or baking dish
- 1.5 lb sweet potatoes 2 very large sweet potatoes, insides weighing about 24 ounces or 1.5 lbs after cooked
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cooked chicken breast large, a rotisserie chicken works well here
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce lower sugar, like Stubbs Original
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 scallions chopped
- Cook the sweet potatoes; to do this easily, place the whole sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and roast them at 400F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.
- Scoop the sweet potato insides into a mixing bowl. Reserve the skins.
- Add the maple syrup, salt, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and thyme.
- Stir the sweet potato mixture until well combined.
- Add the sweet potato mixture back into the potato skins.
- Arrange the stuffed sweet potatoes in a casserole dish or baking dish.
- In another bowl, shred the chicken breast.
- Chop the red onion.
- Add the barbeque sauce and chopped red onion to the chicken, and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken mixture to the top of each potato.
- Bake the potatoes at 400F for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through and slightly browned on top.
- Drizzle with extra barbeque sauce for serving, and garnish with chopped scallions.
- 6 WW points (blue plan)
- 3 WW points (purple plan)
- 9 WW points (green plan)
You might also enjoy these recipes: