BBQ Chicken with Caramelized Onions is a delicious and easy dinner for the family, reminiscent of an indulgent dish you’d order at a pub. Seasoned chicken breast is sautéed in a cast iron skillet with butter; then glazed with BBQ sauce. Topped with caramelized onions and melted cheese, this dish is a flavor explosion.
What you’ll need to make BBQ chicken with caramelized onions
- chicken breast
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- light butter
- BBQ sauce (preferred: one that is naturally low in sugar, like this one from Stubbs)
- low sodium chicken broth
- light cheese (Swiss or mozzarella works well here)
How to make this dish
First, combine the garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
Rub the spice blend on the chicken on all sides.
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter to the pan to melt.
Sauté the chicken for 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Combine the BBQ sauce and broth in a measuring cup.
Pour on top of the chicken, and then put the entire skillet into the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the skillet from the oven and add the caramelized onions and cheese.
Return the skillet to the oven and broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
BBQ Chicken with Caramelized Onions
- cast iron skillet
- 1.5 lb chicken breast, sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce, I use Stubbs
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 4 slices light Swiss cheese, I used Jarlsberg light Swiss; or use 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Season the chicken with the salt and garlic powder on both sides.
- Melt the butter in an oven proof skillet over medium high heat and add some olive oil spray.
- Sear the chicken for 5 minutes on both sides until a golden crust forms.
- Mix the BBQ sauce and chicken stock together and pour on top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken at 400 about 15 minutes to finish cooking.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, top with the onions and the cheese.
- Turn the broiler on; broil for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts and becomes golden.
- Green Plan:
- 1 piece for 3 points
- 2 pieces for 6 points
- Blue and Purple Plans:
- 1 piece for 2 points
- 2 pieces for 4 points
What to serve this with: