When the question is “what can we serve this with?” the answer will most likely be these easy smashed potatoes. These are the perfect, easy side dish for so many meals. They’re easy to make, family-approved, and the leftovers are perfect with eggs for breakfast. Add this recipe to your rotation!
What you’ll need to make easy smashed potatoes
- olive oil spray
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- lemon pepper
- kosher salt
- fresh parsley (optional)
These seasonings are optional. You can add any seasonings you enjoy, depending on the flavor profile you are going for.
Getting the potatoes fork tender
First, we have to get these mini potatoes to be fork-tender. You can do this one of two ways: 1) you can use the microwave, or 2) you can boil them. I’ll be honest, I prefer the microwave for a lot of things, but I know other people don’t feel comfortable using the microwave.
If you use the microwave, just put the baby potatoes in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with plastic wrap. Then, microwave it for 5-10 minutes. The potatoes will steam this way.
If you use The Little Potato Co. potatoes, you can steam them right in the bag they come in, which makes it even easier! I typically use this brand just for that reason.
If you’d rather not use the microwave, just bring a pot of water to boil on the stove top, and add the baby potatoes. Boil them until they are just fork-tender, but not soft enough that they break apart.
How to smash and roast the potatoes
Pour the cooked potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This makes the potatoes particularly crispy, and makes for an easy clean up.
Next, take a potato masher, and gently press down on the potatoes until they are flattened. If you don’t have a potato masher, you can also use the bottom of a glass.
Once the potatoes are smashed, spray them generously with olive oil spray, and add the seasonings on top.
Place them into an oven preheated at 425F. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Easy Smashed Potatoes
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes, skin on
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- Olive oil spray
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Place the potatoes in a microwave safe dish (like a Pyrex or Corningware) covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- If you purchase The Little Potato Co. potatoes, you can microwave them right in the bag.
- Microwave the potatoes for 5-10 minutes or until fork tender. You can also boil them.
- Keep the potatoes covered with the plastic wrap on the counter to continue steaming as they cool down.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Pour the potatoes onto a parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- Using a potato masher, gently flatten the potatoes.
- Generously spray the potatoes with olive oil spray and sprinkle on the garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, and kosher salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Top with fresh parsley.
- 3 WW points (green and blue plans)
- 0 WW points (purple plan)
Leave a Reply