This creamy spaghetti squash with roasted chicken and tomatoes is a warm and comforting meal, packed with protein and nutrients. Roasted spaghetti squash is tossed in a garlic and herb cheese before being topped with roasted chicken breast, tomatoes, red onion, and fresh mozzarella. This spaghetti squash is not your ordinary healthy meal: it has all of the flavors of a bruschetta or Caprese salad as well as flavorful chicken breast. Since the spaghetti squash, chicken, and vegetables all roast at the same temperature and time, this meal couldn’t be easier to put together.
What you will need to make this dish
- spaghetti squash
- chicken breast
- Italian seasoning
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- balsamic vinegar
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- olive oil spray
- fresh basil
- Alouette reduced fat garlic and herb cheese spread
- fresh mozzarella
All about spaghetti squash and how to cook it
Spaghetti squash is a unique squash: the flesh of the squash comes out in strands, similar to the look of spaghetti (which is where this squash gets its name from). It is a perfect vessel for a multitude of toppings: your favorite sauce, delicious cooked chicken or meatballs, or roasted veggies.
Spaghetti squash is a blank slate; it takes on any flavor you pair with it. This makes it a perfect healthy alternative to pasta, since it is blank canvas for your favorite flavorings. It is also a great way to use up ingredients you have in the fridge, as well.
How to prepare and cook spaghetti squash
To cook the spaghetti squash, you need to cut in in half lengthwise, but it is hard to do this when it is raw. In order to soften it up before cutting, poke holes in the skin of the squash, and then microwave the squash for 5-10 minutes. Cut the squash lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out of the squash. Spray the cut side of the squash with olive oil spray, and season it with salt and pepper. Then, roast the squash cut side down on a sheet pan for 30-35 minutes or until the inside flesh scoops out easily with a fork.
How to cook a spaghetti squash:
- poke holes in the skin of the spaghetti squash with a fork or knife
- microwave the squash for 5-10 minutes
- cut the squash in half lengthwise
- scoop the seeds out of the squash
- spray the cut side of the squash with olive oil spray
- season with kosher salt and pepper
- roast at 400F for 30-35 minutes or until the flesh is fork tender and comes out easily
How to make creamy spaghetti squash with roasted chicken and tomatoes
How to roast the chicken and vegetables
The chicken and vegetables will cook at the same time and temperature as the squash for this recipe, which makes it so easy.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the chicken breasts into four pieces. Combine the Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Rub it all over the chicken.
Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray, and place the chicken breast on the baking sheet on one side. On the other side of the baking dish, add the chopped onion and cherry tomatoes. Spray the vegetables with more olive oil spray, and season with kosher salt and pepper.
Roast for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Putting everything together
To assemble the dish, scrape the spaghetti squash flesh into a mixing bowl, and then stir the garlic herb cheese spread into the spaghetti squash. Stir to combine, and taste for seasoning. Pour this mixture into a baking dish.
Chop the cooked chicken breast, and combine it with the cooked onion and tomatoes. Spoon this mixture over the spaghetti squash. Top with the fresh mozzarella, and broil for about 5 minutes.
Creamy Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Chicken and Tomatoes
- baking sheet
- 1 spaghetti squash
- olive oil spray
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into four pieces
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups red onion chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced fat garlic and herb cheese used: Alouette
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella
- 2 tbsp basil fresh, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Poke holes in the skin of the spaghetti squash with a fork or knife.
- To soften the spaghetti squash before cutting, microwave it for 5-10 minutes or until a knife can cut through.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop the seeds out and discard.
- Spray the cut side of the spaghetti squash with olive oil spray, and season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken breasts into 4 pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Spray another baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken pieces, and place them on the sprayed baking sheet.
- On the same baking sheet, add the cherry tomatoes and chopped onion. Spray the vegetables with olive oil spray, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Scoop the insides of the spaghetti squash out into a mixing bowl, and combine with the garlic and herb cheese. Taste for seasoning, add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Chop the cooked chicken and mix it with the tomatoes and onion.
- Add the spaghetti squash to a casserole dish or serving dish. Top with the chicken, tomatoes and onion.
- Add the mozzarella on top, and broil for 5 minutes to melt.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil.
- 5 WW points (green plan)
- 4 WW points (blue and purple plans)
You might also like: