This light dill ranch chicken salad is a great addition to your meal prep rotation! If you are a fan of quick and easy preps, this one is for you. This chicken salad boasts flavors of dill and ranch, with a bright and vibrant flavor profile. Ready in under 10 minutes, this chicken salad uses only a handful of easily accessibly ingredients (some pantry staples) and is a great way to get a protein packed lunch in. If you are a fan of my chicken salad recipes, this one is for you.
What will I need to make this chicken salad?
- cooked chicken breast
- You can either use canned chicken, or a rotisserie chicken.
- You can also roast your own chicken breast by seasoning the chicken breast with olive oil spray, salt and pepper, and roasting at 400F until cooked through to 165F internal temperature.
- red onion
- kosher dill pickle spears
- fresh dill
- ranch seasoning
- I used Hidden Valley, but any ranch seasoning will work.
- The sodium will vary depending on the brand you use, so if you use a lower sodium brand, you might need to season the chicken salad with salt.
- light mayo
- I use Hellman’s
- plain non fat Greek yogurt
- white wine vinegar
All about this light dill ranch chicken salad
This chicken salad recipe has all of the flavors of a delicious deli sandwich: mayo, dill pickles, red onion, and fresh dill. Bursting with flavor but easy to assemble, this recipe is even easier to eat! If you are looking for an easy meal prep, this one is for you!
This recipe, along with my other chicken salad recipes, is “lightened up” but doesn’t taste it. The key to lightening up my chicken salad recipes is using a combination of light mayo with plain non-fat Greek yogurt. You do not taste the yogurt, but it helps add protein to the recipe, and stretches the mayo for fewer calories than using all mayo. It is a substitute that I was originally apprehensive about, but have grown to love.
The addition of the other flavorful, low calorie ingredients like pickles, vinegar and onions add bursts of flavor to this dish, without upping the calories. This chicken salad is so versatile, you can eat it alone with some crackers and carrot sticks, add it to your favorite bread for an open faced sandwich, or put it in a wrap for an easy, on the go lunch. I also love making “picky plates” with chicken salad, and surrounding the salad with fruits, vegetables, and snacks.
Try these other great chicken salads
If you like the idea of this chicken salad, you need to try these others. These are some of my favorites, which are equally as easy to make!
And, if you don’t mind some extra prep-work when it comes to chicken salads (think: roasting veggies before adding them in), then these chicken salads are a great option as well!
Finally, if you aren’t into mayo based chicken salads, then these are for you:
How to make this light dill ranch chicken salad
To make these super easy chicken salad, simply combine the plain non-fat Greek yogurt, light mayo, ranch seasoning, and vinegar together in a mixing bowl. Chop the red onion and the pickles, and add those to the bowl with the shredded, cooked chicken breast. Toss to combine thoroughly and top with the fresh dill for garnish. Check for seasoning and add more salt as desired.
Light Dill Ranch Chicken Salad
- mixing bowl
- 4 cups chicken breast, cooked, use rotisserie chicken breast, roasted chicken breast, canned chicken
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 6 dill pickle spears, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1-2 tbsp dill, fresh, chopped
- Chop or shred the chicken breast.
- Chop the dill pickles and the red onion, and chop the fresh dill.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain nonfat Greek yogurt, light mayo, vinegar and ranch seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add in the chopped pickles and red onion, followed by the shredded chicken breast.
- Garnish with the fresh dill. Taste for seasoning.