This chicken salad recipe has all of the components of street corn: roasted corn kernels, hints of chili and lime, fresh cilantro, and of course, crumbly Cotija cheese. Combined with delicious roasted red peppers, jalapeno, red onion, and tender chunks of cooked chicken breast in a creamy dressing with lime juice, this chicken salad is bursting with flavor. Healthy street corn-inspired chicken salad is bursting with flavor, you’ll never guess that this recipe is lightened-up. Serve on top of greens, alongside crackers and carrots for dipping, or in your favorite wrap or roll for the best lunch ever.
All about this recipe
Street corn is corn on the cob, typically coated with a creamy mixture of sour cream and mayo, and topped with Cotija cheese and cilantro. This recipe includes similar ingredients, but modified to create a flavorful chicken salad recipe. The addition of roasted peppers and onions add a smoky and sweet flavor, and the addition of fresh chopped scallions with the cilantro adds a delicious herby flavor. The dressing here is a combination of mayo and Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, which offers a healthier and lower calorie option with a similar flavor profile. The end result is a flavorful and filling Tex-Mex inspired chicken salad.
Serve this salad on top of greens, or in your favorite wrap or roll, or with crackers and carrots for dipping!
What you’ll need to make healthy street corn-inspired chicken salad
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- frozen corn
- olive oil spray
- kosher salt
- cooked chicken breast
- I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken, and it worked out perfectly. I love using this as the ultimate shortcut! Plus, the chicken breast is so flavorful and juicy.
- light mayo
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- The yogurt is mixed with the light mayo to create the base for the chicken salad dressing. I use yogurt here in order to stretch the mayo out for fewer calories. You do not taste the yogurt at all in this recipe or my other chicken salad recipes; all you taste is a creamy dressing.
- fresh lime
- chili powder
- Cotija cheese
- I used this one.
- Cotija cheese is crumbly in texture. It is salty in flavor, and is typically found as a topping on street corn.
- If you can not find this particular cheese, you can either omit it altogether, or use parmesan cheese as a substitute.
How to make this healthy chicken salad
This chicken salad packs a ton of flavor, starting with roasted vegetables. The first step for this recipe, which takes the longest, is roasting the red pepper, jalapeno, red onion and corn. To start out, preheat the oven to 400F. Chop the bell pepper and red onion. Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and chop it. Add the vegetables to a baking sheet along with the frozen corn kernels.
Spray the vegetables with olive oil spray, and season with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized, and then remove the sheet pan from the oven to cool.
In the meantime, prepare the dressing. Add the mayo and yogurt to a bowl, along with the zest and juice of one lime. Then add the paprika, cumin, chili powder, and remaining kosher salt. Stir to combine.
Chop the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces, and add it to the dressing with the roasted pepper, jalapeno, corn, and onion. Chop the cilantro and scallions and add them to the bowl as well. Toss everything to coat. Make sure the dressing coats all of the other ingredients. Finally, sprinkle with the Cotija cheese.
Healthy Street Corn-Inspired Chicken Salad
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 16 oz frozen corn one 16 ounce bag, roughly 2 1/2 cups
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Other Salad Ingredients
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1.5 oz Cotija cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Chop the red bell pepper and red onion.
- Seed and chop the jalapeno.
- Add the chopped pepper, onion and jalapeno to a sheet pan. Next, add the frozen corn to the sheet pan.
- Spray the vegetables with olive oil spray and season with 1/2 tsp kosher salt.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, add the mayo, yogurt, zest and juice of the lime, cumin, paprika, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and chili powder to a bowl.
- Whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Chop the cooked chicken. Add the chopped chicken to the bowl along with the roasted vegetables.
- Chop the scallions and cilantro and add them to the bowl.
- Toss the ingredients to thoroughly coat them with the dressing.
- Top with the sprinled Cotija cheese.
- 5 WW points (green plan)
- 2 WW points (blue and purple plans)
Check out these other flavorful chicken salad recipes: