Think… chicken salad, but better. This isn’t your ordinary chicken salad; it’s chicken salad but with the smoky flavor of barbeque sauce, the sweet crunch of roasted corn and red onion, and the creaminess from mayo. It’s got the convenience and versatility of chicken salad, but it’s just a bit more interesting. Pair this barbeque chicken salad with your favorite bread or wrap, or serve it inside a lettuce wrap. If you’re looking for a super easy meal prep, this is it.
What exactly does barbeque chicken salad taste like?
I really love playing with different variations and flavors of chicken salad. I just think chicken salad makes the best and easiest meal prep ever, because it’s so tasty and versatile, too. It’s easy to bring to the office or the pool; you can bring it outside while you’re playing with your kids. You don’t have to reheat anything or prepare anything. Just eat it as is!
Here are some other fun chicken salad recipes:
Barbeque chicken salad is actually pretty mild in flavor; it’s got the same texture and overall vibe of a classic chicken salad. The chicken is moist, juicy and tender. The dressing is creamy from the mayo, but also smoky in flavor from the barbeque sauce. Then, the salad is peppered with little bits of sweet, crisp corn kernels, roasted red onion, and fresh scallions.4
I love this salad because it is so versatile. You can change up how you serve it every time you make it. In your favorite wrap or bread, or on top of mixed greens as a salad, or as shown here: inside of lettuce wraps.
You can also serve this with crackers, mini pitas, or fresh veggies for dipping. It makes the perfect component on a picky snack plate for poolside or at the beach this summer.
What you’ll need to make barbeque chicken salad
One of the perks of making this recipe is that you don’t need a ton of ingredients. You probably have most of them on hand already.
- chicken breast
- kosher salt
- dehydrated minced onion
- garlic powder
- ground mustard
- light mayo
- barbeque sauce
- I use this brand of barbeque sauce. It is naturally low in sugar, but without any sugar replacements or alternatives. I use it for so many recipes. You can use any variety of barbeque sauce, just make sure to adjust your stats accordingly.
- olive oil spray
How to make barbeque chicken salad
The first step to making this chicken salad is roasting the chicken and vegetables, and the best part about this is that they all roast at the same time and temperature.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Chop the onion and defrost the corn (if frozen). Spray the sheet pan with olive oil spray and arrange the chopped onion and corn on the sheet pan. Season them with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and then toss them.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining salt with the other spices for the chicken seasoning. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken breast. Place the chicken breast on the sheet pan along with the vegetables. Roast everything for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
To prepare the dressing, combine the barbeque sauce and mayo in a large mixing bowl. In the meantime, shred the chicken breast and add it to the bowl with the dressing, followed by the roasted corn and red onion. Chop the scallions and add them in, too.
Stir everything until it is combined thoroughly. This recipe makes either six servings at 1 cup each, or four generous servings of chicken salad at 1.5 cups each.
Barbeque Chicken Salad
- sheet pan
- mixing bowl
- 3 lbs chicken breast 3-4 chicken breasts (I used Perdue)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 red onion large
- 10 oz frozen corn you can use canned or fresh also
- 2 scallions
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce I used Stubbs Original
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Spray a large sheet pan with olive oil spray.
- Defrost the corn (if frozen), and chop the onion.
- Add the corn and onion to the sheet pan with the 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Combine the other 1 tsp kosher salt with the remaining spices and rub the spice mixture all over the chicken breasts.
- Add the chicken breasts to the other side of the sheet pan.
- Roast everything for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and shred the chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the barbeque sauce and mayo.
- Add the shredded chicken and cooked corn and onions.
- Chop the scallions and add them to the bowl. Toss everything to combine.
- 4 WW points (green plan)
- 1 WW point (blue and purple)
- 6 WW points (green plan)
- 2 WW points (blue and purple plans)
You might also enjoy these BBQ-themed meals: