Italian Chicken, Farro and Vegetable Skillet is a perfectly well-rounded meal: this dish is packed with protein from ground chicken breast, hearty and satisfying vegetables, and whole grains from farro. It’s even topped with delicious, melty cheese. I mean, there’s really not much to dislike here, and this dish couldn’t be easier to make. Packed with flavor and nutrients, this dish makes eating healthy also delicious.
All about this Italian skillet; ideal for meal prep
This Italian Chicken, Farro and Vegetable Skillet is ideal for meal prep because it is easy to prepare, and reheats really well. It is packed with protein and nutrients, from the lean ground chicken breast, to the cups and cups of filling veggies, to the nutrient-dense farro. Each layer of this dish is seasoned and packed with flavor. Topped with melted mozzarella cheese and fresh herbs, this dish is simple but with elevated flavors.
What is farro?
Farro is more than just a grain. It is high-fiber, high-protein, and whole grain. Farro is similar to barley, so if you can’t find farro in your store, barley is a great substitute. It is naturally nutrient-rich, low in fat, and low in cholesterol. Based on all of these factors, farro is really a great base for a delicious grain bowl or grain-based salad. Because of the properties of farro, this farro salad is not filled with empty calories, and will not leave you feeling hungry. You see, eating protein and fiber-rich foods is a great way to stay fuller longer and really fuel your body. This is a meal you can feel really good about eating. The ingredients are clean, nutritious, and most of all, delicious.
What other ingredients will I need for this recipe?
- red bell pepper
- ground chicken breast
- uncooked farro
- chicken broth
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- onion powder
- canned diced tomatoes
- fresh basil
- fresh parsley
- reduced fat mozzarella
How to make Italian Chicken, Farro and Vegetable Skillet
Cooking the farro
This part takes the longest for this recipe, so let’s talk about that first. Cooking farro is so easy, you can leave it alone to do it’s thing. First, rinse the farro under cold water in a strainer. Then, add it to a small saucepan with the chicken broth (the ratio of farro to liquid is 1:2). Bring the pot to a boil, and then reduce to simmer, and cover with the lid. Cook the farro for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, and the farro is tender.
Cooking the vegetables and chicken
To cook the vegetables and chicken, start out by chopping and slicing the vegetables. Prepare the spice mixture, which will be used for both the vegetables and chicken. Add the chopped vegetables to a large frying pan sprayed with olive oil. Add 2 teaspoons of the spice blend, and cook the vegetables for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the vegetables from the pan and add them to a bowl. Next, add the chicken to the same pan with more olive oil spray. Break the chicken up with a wooden spoon, and add 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink. Then, add the diced tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer; cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked farro and vegetables, followed by the herbs. Next, top with the mozzarella cheese and cover the pan for the cheese to melt.
Italian Chicken, Farro and Vegetable Skillet
- large skillet or frying pan
- small saucepan
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped, about 2 small zucchini or 1 large
- 1.5 cups red bell pepper, chopped, about 1 pepper
- 1.5 cups shallots, sliced, about 3 large shallots
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb fat free ground chicken breast
- 1 cup farro, dry, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh
- 3 oz light mozzarella
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Combine all of the spices together to form the spice mixture.
- Rinse the farro in a colander or strainer. Add the farro to a small saucepan with the chicken broth.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, and then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the farro is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- While the farro cooks, chop the zucchini and the pepper, and slice the shallots.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spray olive oil spray, and then add the zucchini, pepper, and onion.
- Season with 2 teaspoons of the spice blend.
- Cook the vegetables over medium high heat for 10 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place them in a bowl to the side.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil spray and the ground chicken.
- Add 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture to the chicken meat, and break the meat apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink, then add the diced tomatoes with their juices.
- Simmer this mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked farro and cooked reserved vegetables to the pot and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chopped herbs.
- Taste for seasoning, add the remaining seasoning mix if desired. Otherwise, save the reserved seasoning mix for another recipe.
- Top with the mozzarella, and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
- 1 WW point (purple plan)
- 4 WW points (blue plan)
- 6 WW points (green plan)