This Grilled Vegetable Farro Salad with Herbs is a fresh, vibrant, filling and nutritious dish. It’s great on its own, but when paired with a grilled protein, this makes for a great well-rounded lunch or dinner. This farro salad features delicious, springy grilled vegetables, fresh herbs, and a creamy dressing; chicken breast is marinated in similar flavors, and then grilled. Put this grilled vegetable farro salad and chicken on your meal rotation for this spring and summer!
What is farro?
Farro is more than just a grain. It is high-fiber, high-protein, and whole grain. Farro is similar to barley, so if you can’t find farro in your store, barley is a great substitute. It is naturally nutrient-rich, low in fat, and low in cholesterol. Based on all of these factors, farro is really a great base for a delicious grain bowl or grain-based salad. Farro is also zero points on the WW purple plan, which is a plus, too.
Because of the properties of farro, this farro salad is not filled with empty calories, and will not leave you feeling hungry. You see, eating protein and fiber-rich foods is a great way to stay fuller longer and really fuel your body.
This is a meal you can feel really good about eating. The ingredients are clean, nutritious, and most of all, delicious.
What other ingredients are in this dish?
This dish is packed with flavor. The components of this salad, along with the dressing and the marinade for the chicken, are bright, refreshing, and delicious. The ingredients for the chicken marinade mimic the ingredients of the farro salad.
- farro – remember, the measurement noted for the farro is the dry, raw, uncooked farro
- reduced sodium chicken broth
- chicken breast
- light mayo
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- kosher salt
- lemon pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- white wine vinegar
How to make grilled vegetable farro salad with chicken
There are a few components to this dish:
- the farro
- the dressing
- the grilled vegetables
- the grilled chicken
Cooking the farro
This part takes the longest for this recipe, so let’s talk about that first. Cooking farro is so easy, you can leave it alone to do it’s thing. First, rinse the farro under cold water in a strainer. Then, add it to a small saucepan with the chicken broth (the ratio of farro to liquid is 1:2). Bring the pot to a boil, and then reduce to simmer, and cover with the lid.
Cook the farro covered for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed, and the farro is tender.
Grilling the vegetables and the chicken
The vegetables and chicken can be grilled on the barbeque at the same time, which is a huge time saver! It also makes for such an easy cleanup. To prep the vegetables, slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4″ thick slices, and trim the edges off of the asparagus. Spray the vegetables with some cooking spray, and season with a pinch of salt.
To prep the chicken, combine the marinade ingredients, and then toss the chicken in with the fresh herbs. Let the chicken sit in this mixture until you are ready to cook it.
Grill the chicken and vegetables until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender with grill marks.
Making the dressing and putting it all together
To make the creamy dressing, combine the yogurt, mayo, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Add the fresh chopped herbs, the cooked, chopped vegetables, and the cooked farro.
Serve the cooked grilled chicken with some fresh lemon and more herbs. Slice into pieces.
How to serve and store this salad
This salad makes a great side dish for a barbeque since it doesn’t need to be reheated. It also makes a great meal prep lunch for the same reason! The serving size of this salad is 1 cup, and it makes 5 servings. Be sure to store the salad covered tightly in the fridge so that it stays fresh.
Grilled Vegetable Farro Salad and Chicken
- grill pan or BBQ
- mixing bowl
- 1 cup farro, uncooked, raw
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 zucchini
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breast, 4-5 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Combine the lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl to form a paste-like consistency.
- Chop the parsley and scallions. Add them to a bowl with the chicken breast.
- Add the marinade to the bowl, and combine all ingredients.
- Let the chicken marinate while you prepare the other ingredients. You can also marinate it overnight.
- Grill the chicken (on a grill pan, or outdoor BBQ) until cooked through.
- Measure out 1 cup of farro, and rinse it under cold water through a strainer.
- Add the farro to a sauce pan with the chicken broth.
- Stir to combine, and then bring the liquid to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the broth is absorbed and the farro is tender.
- While the farro cooks, slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices. Trim the ends off the asparagus.
- Spray the vegetables with cooking spray and season with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Grill the vegetables at the same time as the chicken, until tender (about 10 minutes on medium/medium-high heat).
- To prepare the dressing, combine the yogurt, mayo, vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice, salt, and herbs.
- Once the vegetables have cooked, chop them into bite sized pieces.
- Add the vegetables and cooked farro to the dressing and toss to combine.
- 7 WW points (green plan)
- 5 WW points (blue plan)
- 1 WW point (purple plan)
- 5 WW points (green and blue plans)
- 1 WW point (purple plan)
- 230 calories per cup
You might also enjoy:
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Leave a Reply