At least once a week, I make these easy grilled chicken and bacon wraps (or sandwiches). I often am able to make them with odds and ends I have in my fridge, since I tend to stock my fridge with staples like: center cut bacon, lettuce, onions, and light cheese. Together, these simple ingredients combine to form a flavorful dish that tastes like something you would order at a restaurant. Serve alongside fries, a veggie, or a side dish for a complete and healthy lunch or dinner.
All about this easy recipe
I have been making this recipe, or renditions of this recipe, forever. Most recently, I make this recipe once a week as a way to clean out my fridge, or when I need to make a quick and healthy meal in a pinch. For the longest time, I avoided writing a blog post and recipe for this meal, since it is so simple to prepare. But, since it is such an important staple in my diet, I felt now was the time to give it the love it deserves!
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s not a recipe at all; substitute any ingredients you enjoy or have on hand. If you prefer mozzarella over cheddar, use that; if you want to add tomatoes or other veggies, go right ahead! This recipe also includes ingredients to make a BBQ mayo spread, but you can also top these wraps with ranch dressing or any other spread you enjoy on your sandwiches.
What will I need to make an easy grilled chicken and bacon wrap?
Since this recipe is more of a method, you can use whatever ingredients you prefer. I will include a list of the specific ingredients I used here, as well as links to some of the more specific ingredients.
- low carb wrap or bun
- chicken breast
- all purpose seasoning
- I love using this one: Buttery Steakhouse Rub – Kinder’s (kinders.com)
- I have also included pictures of other examples of all purpose seasonings you might enjoy.
- center cut bacon
- I love this brand of center cut bacon: Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon 17 oz
- light cheddar cheese
- This is my favorite light cheddar cheese; it tastes like the real deal, sharp cheddar: Lite75 Sharp Cheddar Cheese | Light Cheese | Cabot Creamery (cabotcheese.coop)
- shredded iceberg
- red onion
- BBQ sauce (preferably something lower in sugar)
- This is my favorite lower sugar BBQ sauce; it is naturally lower in sugar, not sugar free: Stubb’s® Original Barbecue Sauce | Stubb’s (mccormick.com)
- light mayo
The key to a delicious and flavorful grilled chicken wrap
Preparing the “accessory” ingredients
The most important part of making a simple recipe like this one taste delicious is to build flavor with each ingredient. To do that (but still keep things easy), I roast the bacon with sliced red onion. Cooked red onion delivers a subtly sweet addition to the wrap, which contrasts the salty and crunchy bite of the bacon.
Preheat your oven to 400F, and line a sheet pan with foil. Lay your slices of bacon on one side, and cut the red onion into thick rounds, placing them on the other side. Spray the onion rounds with olive oil spray, and a small pinch of salt and pepper.
Roast the bacon and onion for about 20 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the onions are cooked, and slightly caramelized. Then, remove them from the oven to cool.
Grilling the perfect chicken
Season the chicken breast on all sides with the all purpose seasoning, to coat. Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat. Spray the grill pan with olive oil spray, and sear the chicken for about 5 minutes on one side. Flip the chicken on the other side, and cover the grill pan. Cook the chicken covered for about 10 minutes (it will steam the chicken and ensure it cooks through, and stays juicy). Then, remove the cover after 10 minutes, and place the heat on medium low to finish cooking the chicken through. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is fully cooked (it should be 165F internally). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a dish to rest, so that the juices get redistributed into the chicken to remain juicy.
After the chicken rests for about 10 minutes, you can slice it into thinner pieces. Top the chicken with your cheese of choice, and let it melt. You can pop the chicken in a microwave to melt it, if needed.
Assembling the wraps
Combine the BBQ sauce and the mayo to form the spread; you can either spread this on the wrap itself, or use it as a dipping sauce. Lay the lettuce on the wrap, and top with the sliced chicken and cheese, and the cooked onion and bacon. Roll the wrap up, secure it with toothpicks, and enjoy!
Easy Grilled Chicken and Bacon Wraps
- grill pan
- baking sheet
- 1 chicken breast, full, thick cut
- all purpose seasoning, I prefer: Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse
- olive oil spray
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 slices center cut bacon, used: Oscar Mayer
- 1 slice red onion, thick cut round; appx 1/4-1/2" thick
- 1 oz light cheddar cheese, used: Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar
- 1 cup shredded iceberg
- 1 tbsp light mayo
- 2 tsp BBQ sauce, lower sugar, like Stubbs Original
- 1 low carb wrap, used: La Banderita Carb Counter Tortilla
- Note: this is to make 1 wrap. To make more, toggle the serving size over to your desired servings and the ingredients will update accordingly.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Cut an onion round into a 1/4-1/2" thick slice, keeping the rings in tact.
- Lay the bacon strips on one side, and the onion round on the other.
- Spray the onion round with olive oil spray, and season with a small pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast the bacon and onion for 20 minutes or until the bacon is crispy, and the onion is cooked and slightly caramelized.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and set aside.
- To grill the chicken, preheat the grill pan over medium high heat.
- Spray the grill pan with olive oil spray.
- Sear the chicken on one side for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, and then cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook the chicken covered for about 10 minutes. The steam will help keep the chicken moist and cook it through.
- Remove the lid, and lower the heat to medium low. Cook the chicken for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to rest before slicing.
- Slice the chicken and top with the cheese (to melt the cheese, either microwave for a minute or place it back on the grill pan with the lid on, over medium heat).
- Combine the mayo and the BBQ sauce in a small bowl.
- Use the sauce for dipping, or spread on the tortilla or wrap.
- Assemble the wrap: add the lettuce to the wrap, followed by the chicken and cheese, the cooked red onion and bacon.
- 5 WW points