Would you believe me if I told you that you can have an entire chicken entrée, including a homemade tomato sauce, ready in fifteen minutes? This Grilled Chicken Parmigiana is the easiest weeknight meal, and it’s a crowd pleaser. Seasoned, grilled chicken breast topped with a fresh chunky tomato sauce and melted mozzarella; this dish is proof that you can make quick and easy meals for your family and still eat healthy.
What’s great about grilled chicken parmigiana
This meal offers all of the comforts of a cheesy baked meal, but without any frying or breadcrumbs. This makes a great meal for anyone trying to cut some carbs, or if you are just looking for a super easy weeknight meal. You will be done cooking dinner in 15 minutes flat, from start to finish.
Sometimes you just run out of ideas for dinner, but this meal features ingredients you probably already have on hand. The main components of this dish are chicken breast, diced tomatoes, and mozzarella. You can also use jarred marinara sauce if you have that on hand too. Whatever works!
Paired with some veggies, or thrown over a salad, this will quickly become one of your weeknight go-to meals, especially with grilling season coming up.
What you’ll need to make grilled chicken parmigiana
- thin sliced chicken breast
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- olive oil spray
- garlic cloves
- diced tomatoes
- fat free mozzarella
- you can use reduced fat or even full fat; whatever you have will work perfectly
How to make the chicken
For this recipe, I recommend using thin-sliced chicken breast to cut down the cooking time. If you can’t find thin-sliced chicken breast, you can use 1.5 lbs of regular chicken breasts (this should be around two pieces). Then, cut each breast into three thinner slices to end up with six total pieces.
To make the chicken, simply combine the spices and rub them all over the chicken breast. Preheat a grill pan like this one over medium high heat. Before cooking, spray the grill pan with non-stick spray, and then grill the chicken for about five minutes per side. Since the chicken is so thin, it doesn’t need much time at all to cook.
If you don’t have a grill pan, you can do this in a regular frying pan or skillet. In the warmer months, you can grill the chicken on an outdoor grill. Remember, this recipe is all about whatever works for you and whatever makes this easy for you.
How to make the sauce
While the chicken is cooking, it’s the perfect time to make the quick pan tomato sauce.
Start off by mincing the garlic and placing it in a frying pan with some olive oil spray. Then, turn the heat on to medium. Cook the garlic for about one minute, and then add the can of diced tomatoes and the kosher salt.
Cook this mixture for about 7-10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated, and you are left with a nice, chunky tomato sauce. Then, add the fresh basil and set it aside.
How to put it all together
When the chicken is cooked, keep the chicken on the grill pan, and then top the chicken pieces with the tomato sauce. Then, top it with the cheese. Spray the cheese with some olive oil spray (this helps the cheese melt). Cover with a lid or foil to melt.
You can also plate the chicken and pop the plate into the microwave or under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Then, sprinkle the finished dish with some more fresh basil.
Grilled Chicken Parmigiana
- grill pan or outdoor grill
- frying pan
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast cut into 6 thin pieces
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- fresh cracked black pepper
- olive oil spray
Tomato Sauce and Topping
- olive oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz diced tomatoes can
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella
- 1/4 cup basil plus more for garnish
- If you are using full chicken breasts, slice each chicken breast into thinner slices to create six thin-sliced chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, paprika and black pepper, and rub it all over the chicken.
- Preheat an indoor grill pan over medium high heat.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Grill the chicken for five minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken cooks, prepare the tomato sauce.
- In a frying pan, add olive oil spray and the minced garlic. Turn the heat to medium.
- Cook for one minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the kosher salt. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated, leaving a chunky tomato sauce.
- Stir in the fresh basil.
- Lay the cooked chicken in a serving dish.
- Top with the marinara and the cheese. Spray olive oil spray on top of the cheese.
- Pop in the microwave for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with more basil for garnish.
- Blue and Purple Plans:
- 0 WW points for 1 piece
- 1 WW point for up to 4 pieces
- Green Plan:
- 1 WW point per piece