I absolutely love ordering sliced chicken gyro at Greek restaurants when it is available. It is the chicken-version of the delicious sliced gyro meat you traditionally find made of lamb and beef. To make this kind of delicacy from scratch is quite an undertaking; for my recipe, I use a method I adapted from Alton Brown, which creates a flavorful, moist loaf which is thinly sliced into strips, and then pan seared. This healthy sliced chicken gyro recipe works beautifully in a pita with some roasted veggies, lettuce and yogurt sauce.
How to serve healthy sliced chicken gyro
My favorite way to serve this sliced chicken gyro is in a pita with some yogurt sauce shredded lettuce, and fat free feta. You can also incorporate this into a salad, or in a bowl with a grain and some vegetables. It’s really versatile in that way. For that reason, this makes a great meal prep because you can serve it a different style every day.
Healthy Sliced Chicken Gyro
- 2 lbs 99% fat free ground chicken breast
- ½ red onion or one small red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Add the garlic and onion to a food processor and pulse until they are minced.
- Add the ground chicken and the spices and pulse until a thick paste-like mixture is formed.
- Place into a bowl covered in the fridge until ready to cook. I did this the night before and let it sit for 12 hours, but this is optional. It cuts down on last-minute prep time.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Add the meat mixture to the loaf pan, and smooth it out so it is even.
- Place the loaf pan into a larger roasting pan.
- Fill the roasting pan with hot water about halfway up the height of the loaf pan. This will form a water bath inside the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Once done, remove the loaf pan from the oven and take the chicken out of the pan.
- Wrap the chicken loaf in foil, and place a heavy pot or weight on top of the wrapped meat for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, unwrap and thinly slice.
- Before serving, sear the slices on both sides in a frying pan to brown.
- 2 WW points (green plan)
- 0 WW points (blue and purple plans)
You might also enjoy: