These Greek Protein and Grain Bowls have it all: fresh vegetables, seasoned roasted chicken breast, protein-packed chickpeas, delicious couscous, olives, and feta cheese. These bowls offer the convenience of a grab-and-go salad, but are homemade so that you’re in control of the ingredients. Serve these bowls for a nutritious dinner, or meal prep lunch for the week; either way, you’ll be out of the kitchen in under thirty minutes.
What you’ll need to make Greek Protein and Grain Bowls
Don’t worry; maybe this ingredient list seems long, but a majority of it is for the spice mixture that gets rubbed on the chicken. I can guarantee that you have most (if not all) of these spices in your cabinet already. And if you are missing one, don’t fret. You can adjust this recipe accordingly.
- chicken tenders (or chicken breast)
- spice rub:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- dried dill
- red onion
- Near East couscous
- any flavor of this will do, or if you have another brand you enjoy, use that one, just make sure to update your nutritional information accordingly, as always
- cherry tomatoes
- fat free feta
- black olives
- red wine vinegar
How to prepare the chicken
The chicken and the red onion cook at the same time on a sheet pan. So to start, preheat your oven to 400F. Thinly slice the onion while you wait for the oven to preheat. This chicken is flavored with a really quick and easy-to-make spice rub. I love using chicken tenderloins for this recipe, because they cook super fast. Of course, when I went to make this recipe most recently, the store was out of tenders. Instead, I bought chicken breast and sliced it into tender-sized pieces. Either way works. To make the spice rub, simply combine all of the spices together in a small bowl. Then, rub it all over the pieces of chicken, so that they are evenly coated.
Spray a sheet pan with olive oil spray, and then place the chicken pieces spread out on one side of the sheet pan, and the sliced onion on the other side. Add another spray of olive oil. Roast the chicken and onion for 15 minutes. You’ll know the chicken is done when the internal temperature is at least 165F. I use this meat thermometer to help me gauge when my proteins are cooked. When the chicken is done, place it on a cutting board and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
How to make the Greek salad
Grab a large mixing bowl to prep the salad. Prepare the couscous according to the package directions. For the one I used, I removed the oil from the recipe because I didn’t feel it was necessary. Since the couscous gets added to the rest of the ingredients, it really does not need the oil here. While that cooks, you can prep the other ingredients.
Peel and slice the cucumber; half the cherry tomatoes. Measure out and chop the olives. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Measure out the feta cheese. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and toss them. Add the cooked chicken pieces and the roasted red onion to the bowl. Finally, add the red wine vinegar, the extra dried dill, and the fresh mint.
How to serve Greek Protein and Grain Bowls
This is an all-in-one dish, which makes it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. It’s done in under 30 minutes, and it has everything you are looking for when it comes to a well-rounded meal: protein, vegetables, and a grain. This would also be delicious with some yogurt sauce on top: you can click here to find my recipe for yogurt sauce. Since this is is an all-in-one meal and so quick to prepare, this makes for the perfect dish to meal prep. Each serving is a heaping 2 cup portion, so it’s a really generous and filling portion for lunch. When I meal prep this, I pre-portion out my servings in my meal prep containers. You can also just keep this covered in the mixing bowl in the fridge, whatever works!
Greek Protein and Grain Bowls
- sauce pan
- sheet pan
- mixing bowl
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 red onion
- 1 box Near East Couscous
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fat free feta cheese, 5 oz package
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1.5 cups chickpeas, 19 oz can
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Thinly slice the red onion. Slice the chicken breast into tenders.
- Combine the spices for the chicken in a bowl, and then coat the chicken tenders.
- Spray a sheet pan with olive oil spray, and add the onions to one side, and the chicken to the other side.
- Spray the tops of the chicken and the onions with more olive oil spray.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside to cool and then chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare the couscous according to package directions, omitting the olive oil if desired.
- Grab a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and slice the cucumbers and half the cherry tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Slice the olives.
- Add the cucumbers, tomato, cooked red onion, couscous, chickpeas, feta, olives, cooked chicken, vinegar, and the extra dill and the fresh mint to the bowl and toss.
- 6 WW points (green plan)
- 4 WW points (blue and purple plans)
You might also enjoy: