A thirty minute or less meal, chicken and quinoa skillet with peanut sauce has a flavor profile reminiscent of Thai cuisine. This skillet meal is jam-packed with vegetables from red bell pepper, to shredded carrots and cabbage, and flavored with fresh herbs. Protein-packed with lean ground chicken breast and bulked up with quinoa, this skillet makes for the ideal healthy lunch or dinner. The finishing touch is a thick and creamy peanut sauce to tie all the flavors together. The generous serving size of this meal is guaranteed to keep you full and satisfied.
All about this chicken and quinoa skillet with peanut sauce
This dish is jam-packed with flavor and texture. It features fresh vegetables like red bell pepper, shredded carrots, and shredded cabbage. The dish starts out with ginger, garlic and scallions sauteed in sesame oil as the base; flavor is built upon that foundation, as ground chicken is sauteed with spices. Next, the fresh vegetables are added to the skillet along with flavorful cilantro and scallions, finally finished off with a creamy peanut sauce. The sauce is slightly sweet, slightly savory, and rounds out the other flavors of this dish. The chicken and quinoa skillet makes for a quick and easy meal; ready in 30 minutes and family-approved. This meal also makes for a great meal prep, since it is easy to portion out, and even easier to store and reheat. To reheat, simply microwave until heated through.
What you will need to make this dish
- sesame oil
- You can use either ginger root or squeeze ginger.
- shredded carrots
- shredded cabbage
- red bell pepper
- reduced sodium chicken broth
- less sodium soy sauce
- powdered peanut butter
- rice wine vinegar
- lime zest and juice
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground ginger
How to make this one-pot skillet meal
This meal is quick and easy to prepare, and the best part is, it’s all done in one pot. Start out by sauteeing the ginger, garlic, and the whites of the scallions in the sesame oil and non-stick cooking spray. These will serve as the aromatics for the dish (similar to how carrots, celery and onion are typically used to start out a soup). Next, add the ground chicken breast to the dish, along with the garlic powder, onion powder, and ground ginger. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes or until it is fully cooked through and no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside. In the same skillet, add more cooking spray, along with the chopped bell pepper and shredded carrots, and the green parts of the scallions. Cook the vegetables for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Then, add the shredded cabbage. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, and cook the cabbage until wilted and tender.
In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients. Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and add the sauce. Simmer for a couple of minutes for the flavors to combine, and then stir in the fresh herbs.
Chicken and Quinoa Skillet with Peanut Sauce
- large skillet or wok
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, ginger root or squeeze ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 lb 98% fat free ground chicken breast
- 2 cups red bell pepper, chopped, 2 medium peppers
- 3 cups shredded carrots, one 10-oz bag
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 cups shredded cabbage, one 8-oz bag
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- .75 cup quinoa, raw, uncooked
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- Preheat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Chop the scallions and separate the green and white parts.
- Mince the garlic.
- Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to the pan and non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the white parts of the scallions, the garlic, and the ginger to the sesame oil.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add the ground chicken breast and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Chop the red bell pepper.
- Add cooking spray to the pan, and add the pepper and shredded carrots.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground ginger.
- Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the shredded cabbage and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.
- Saute until wilted and tender.
- While the skillet chicken and vegetables are cooking, prepare the quinoa.
- Add 1 3/4 cup of the chicken broth to a small saucepan, along with the zest and juice of a lime.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, and then add the quinoa.
- Stir together, and then cover and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Fluff with a fork.
- Set aside until later.
Peanut Sauce and Assembly
- Combine the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Add the cooked chicken and quinoa to the pan with the vegetables, and add the peanut sauce.
- Stir and simmer for minutes until the flavors combine.
- Add the cilantro and the green parts of the scallions.
- 6 WW points