Meet your new favorite meal prep or easy weeknight dinner, Greek Chicken and Rice Skillet. This dish has it all; it’s packed with veggies, protein, and whole grains, too. Ground chicken is cooked with a flavorful Greek-inspired spice combination, and then combined with delicious sautéed zucchini, red onion, cherry tomatoes, hearty brown rice, and fresh herbs. Topped with Kalamata olives and feta, this dish is delicious on its own, but even better when paired with pita bread for dipping.
What you will need to make this recipe
To make this recipe, you will need:
- fat free ground chicken breast
- If you can’t find ground chicken breast, you can add chicken breast to a food processor and grind up the chicken breast.
- This can be a great alternative to purchasing ground chicken breast, and it can be more affordable too.
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- cooked brown rice
- I like to use frozen, pre-cooked rice. It is a huge time saver! You can find this in the freezer section of your grocery store; I use the Steamfresh brand a lot, or I will stock up on the Trader Joe’s brand when I go there.
- fresh basil
- mint leaves
- fresh parsley
- Kalamata olives
- feta cheese
For the spice mixture, you will need:
- kosher salt
- Italian seasoning
- onion powder
- garlic powder
The spice mixture makes about 6 teaspoons. This recipe uses about 5 (or more to taste) so you might have some leftover.
How to make Greek Chicken and Rice Skillet
First, prepare the spice mixture simply by combining all of the spices in a small bowl.
To make this recipe, start out by chopping your vegetables. Chop the zucchini and red onion, and half the cherry tomatoes. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil spray. Add the chopped zucchini and onion to the pan, and then add 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture you prepared. Cook this mixture for 10 minutes or until the zucchini and onion are tender and caramelized. Then remove the vegetables from the pan and place them in a bowl to the side.
In the same pan, add more olive oil spray followed by the ground chicken. Add 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture to the chicken. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink, breaking the meat up with the spatula. Then, add the cooked zucchini and onion back in. Add the halved cherry tomatoes to the mixture and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes are broken down and begin to moisten the mixture.
Next, add the cooked brown rice and fresh herbs. At this point, you can taste for seasoning and add more, if desired. Finally, top with the feta and olives.
One serving of this skillet is 1.5 heaping cups.
How to meal prep this dish
For meal prep, portion this skillet recipe out into four servings at a heaping 1.5 cup each. Store the servings in glass storage containers for maximum freshness. To reheat, simply microwave individual portions until heated through.
This recipe freezes well. To freeze, I suggest freezing in individual serving sizes in small freezer bags. Simply microwave individual portions to defrost and reheat. You can leave the olives and feta cheese off if you plan on freezing this, and then add them right before serving.
I love this dish as is (it’s easy to eat just the way it is!) or with mini pitas for dipping. You can also pair it with a Greek salad for a fuller meal. It is super versatile!
Greek Chicken and Rice Skillet
- large skillet
- large frying pan
- 3 cups zucchini, chopped, about 2 small zucchini
- 2 cups red onion, chopped, about 1 large red onion
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb fat free ground chicken breast
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved, 1 pint
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp mint, fresh
- 2 tbsp basil, fresh
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh
- 1 oz feta cheese
- 1 oz Kalamata olives
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Combine all of the spices together to form the spice mixture.
- Chop the zucchini and red onion.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Spray olive oil spray, and then add the chopped zucchini and onion.
- Season with 2 teaspoons of the spice blend.
- Cook the vegetables over medium high heat for 10 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place them in a bowl to the side.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil spray and the ground chicken.
- Add 3 teaspoons of the spice mixture to the chicken meat, and break the meat apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink, then add the reserved cooked vegetables back to the pan.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes to the pan.
- Cook this mixture for another 5-10 minutes or until the tomatoes break down and add moisture to the mixture.
- Stir in the cooked brown rice.
- Stir in the chopped herbs.
- Top with the Kalamata olives and the feta.
- Taste for seasoning, add the remaining seasoning mix if desired. Otherwise, save the reserved seasoning mix for another recipe.
- 1 WW point (purple plan)
- 5 WW points (blue plan)
- 6 WW points (green plan)
You might also enjoy these other Greek-inspired dishes:
The ultimate healthy lunch: Greek Protein and Grain Bowls
A fun dinner: Greek Mini Beef Sliders