These Greek Mini Beef Sliders are a fun twist on burger night; during grilling season, these make a light, enjoyable, bite-sized treat. Whether for an appetizer or a main course, these mini burgers offer all of your favorite Mediterranean flavors. Each bite is packed with flavor, from the spices used in the meat mixture, to the pita, yogurt sauce, and pickled cucumbers.
What you’ll need for this recipe
This recipe has a few components 1) the burger patties, 2) the pickled cucumbers, 3) the yogurt sauce, and 4) the toppings and extras.
For the burger patties, all you’ll need is:
- 96/4 extra lean ground beef
- you can find this at Trader Joe’s and Aldi, some regular supermarkets carry it also
- a bunch of seasonings (herbs de Provence (can substitute Italian seasoning here), garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, kosher salt, nutmeg, and dill
The pickled cucumbers might sound intimidating, but all that’s involved here is:
To make the yogurt sauce, you’ll need:
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
And lastly, for the toppings and extras:
- mini pita or mini naan
- onion, for grilling
- mixed greens, olives, tomatoes
What makes these Greek?
I wouldn’t say these are super authentic, but they include many flavors influenced by Greek cuisine: the burgers are seasoned with flavors like oregano, garlic, onion, and the unexpected nutmeg. The sliders are topped on an adorable mini pita as the “bun.” Grilled onions and piled on top of the patties, and then drizzled with a homemade yogurt sauce and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Although I use extra lean ground beef, these burgers would be delicious with lamb as well!
These burgers pair really well with some crispy roasted potatoes. I simply season the potatoes with salt, oregano, and olive oil spray to mimic the flavors in this dish. You can also add a squeeze of some fresh lemon juice too.
How to make these Greek Mini Beef Sliders
Making the pickled cucumbers
The first step to these burgers is to make the pickled cucumbers. You can do this several hours in advance. Start out by combining the pickling liquid in a small mason jar (this is all of the ingredients besides the cucumber). Then, peel the cucumber skin off. After the skin is peeled, cut the flesh of the cucumber with the veggie peeler, to form thin ribbons.
Submerge the ribbons in the liquid, and shake to combine. Let the liquid and cucumbers marinate for as long as possible, or even overnight.
Making the yogurt sauce
You can also make the yogurt sauce in advance. To do this, simply combine all of the ingredients in small bowl. Cover the bowl and keep it chilled in the fridge.
As a shortcut, you can always buy your own yogurt sauce. But, I happen to have yogurt on hand at all times in my fridge, and I usually have most of the other ingredients as well. Since it only takes minutes to make, it’s a no-brainer for me.
Mixing the burger meat and cooking the sliders
To make the actual burger patties, combine the spices with the beef, and mix using your hands. Then, form the meat into 8 equal-sized balls, at approximately 2 ounces each. Flatten the balls out to form burger patties. Create a divot in the center of each patty, so that when they cook, they stay flat and don’t puff up.
To cook the patties, spray a grill pan or frying pan with cooking spray, and cook the patties over medium high heat. They will only need a couple of minutes on either side because they’re so small. While the patties cook, add the onions to the same pan. The onions will cook with the juices of the beef and become flavorful. They will be done at the same time.
Greek Mini Beef Sliders
- frying pan
- 1 lb 96/4 extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dill dried
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh
Toppings and extras
- 8 mini pitas I use the Toufayan brand mini pitas
- 1 onion
- mixed greens
- 2 oz fat free feta
- Combine the burger ingredients and form into 8 equal-shaped slider patties, (2 oz each).
- Grill or cook on medium high heat until cooked through, just a couple of minutes per side.
- At the same time, on the same grill/pan, cook the onion slices with the meat.
- Once cooked, set aside for assembly later.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and add the slices to the jar.
- Shake to combine, (optional: you can do this in advance, and let it sit for a couple of hours so the flavors can combine.)
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Lay the pitas on a platter, top with mixed greens.
- Top with the burger patties.
- Top each slider with the cooked onions and pickled cucumbers.
- Sprinkle feta cheese.
- Drizzle yogurt sauce.
- 2 WW points for 1 slider (all plans)
- 5 WW points for 2 sliders (all plans)
You might also enjoy: