Crispy, delicious healthy breakfast eggrolls: whether you are hosting brunch or just want a fun breakfast meal prep, this recipe is sure to please.
Why not? Eggrolls are the perfect vessel to pack in any form of deliciousness. They are light and airy, crunchy, and take on whatever flavor you pair them with. Maybe you never considered them a breakfast item, but I can assure you that they are delicious when used this way. Even though the elements of this dish are so simple, when put together they are a flavor sensation. They also make breakfast really fun, and easy to grab and go. Maybe you’re the kind of person who eats breakfast in the car on the way to work; in that case, these are perfect for you! They’re also a really fun dish to make for a potluck or brunch, for something different than your usual quiche or frittata. The eggrolls I use are this brand. I find them in the supermarket where they sell the tofu and vegan items in the refrigerated section. Sometimes you can also find them near the refrigerated produce, it depends on your store.
What’s inside the eggrolls
The filling is made with really simple ingredients:
- egg whites
- hash browns
- center cut bacon
Yep, that’s it. It will take a little bit of time to prepare all of your ingredients for filling the wraps, but this recipe maybes EIGHTEEN eggrolls. With a suggested serving of two eggrolls, that’s NINE servings. So believe me, the prep time ends up being worth it.
How to prep the filling
To prep the filling, you are just going to prep each individual ingredient. Scramble the eggs, bake the bacon. Sauté the hash browns. Once all of the components are cooked, simply mix them together. Then get to filling!
Filling and rolling the eggrolls
Don’t be intimidated. Each wrapper will get approximately 1/4 cup of filling. Position the wrapper so that it looks like a diamond shape. Starting at the bottom, roll up. Then tuck the sides in and finish rolling. When you get to the end, add a small dab of water to seal the seam shut. That’s really it.
Cooking the eggrolls
I used my air fryer for this recipe. I just love how it gets these super crispy. Working in batches, about 6 eggrolls at a time, spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Lay the eggrolls seam side down, then spray the tops with more cooking spray. Sprinkle Everything Bagel seasoning on top. These cook at 400 for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway. Whenever I flip something in the air fryer, I spray the tops again with cooking spray.
Can I cook these in the oven? An air fryer is basically like a convection oven. If you want to cook these in the oven, I would use a baking sheet with a wire rack on top. This will allow for more air to circulate around the eggrolls and get crispy. Bake at the same time and temperature as the air fryer directions.
Storage and reheating
To store, wrap the eggrolls in individual servings (suggested: 2 eggrolls) securely in foil. Place the foil packages in a large freezer bag in the freezer. These will stay good for several weeks in the freezer when stored this way. To reheat, unwrap the eggrolls and discard the foil. Microwave the eggrolls to take the chill off and defrost them. Then, re-crisp them either in the air fryer, a preheat oven, or a toaster oven until crisped to your liking.
Healthy Breakfast Eggrolls
- baking sheet
- frying pan
- mixing bowl
- air fryer
- 18 egg roll wrappers, I use Nasoya brand
- 12 slices center cut bacon, I use Oscar Mayer brand
- 2 cups hash browns, I used Simply Potatoes brand
- 6 eggs, I use Egglands Best brand, they are lower calorie
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat free cheese, cheddar, mozarella, I use Kraft brand
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- everything bagel seasoning
- olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Lay the slices of bacon on a wire rack on top of a sheet pan.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Saute the hash browns in a large frying pan with olive oil spray, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Cook the hashbrowns until they are golden and tender. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites, add the seasoned salt.
- Scramble the eggs in the same pan the hash browns were cooked in, using olive oil spray.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat to cool.
- It's important that your ingredients are all fully cooled before combining and making the rolls!
- Crumble the bacon slices and add them to the pan with the cooled eggs; add the cheese and hash browns, stir to combine.
- Next, set up your work station. Open your egg roll wrapper package, and get a small bowl of water.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper on a cutting board or counter top, one point facing you (it should look like a diamond shape) and add a heaping 1/4 cup of the filling to the center.
- Fold the bottom point up to cover the mixture and roll the wrapper, making sure to tuck the filling in. Fold in the left and right sides, and then continue rolling to the end of the wrapper.
- When you get to the end, add a dab of water to the top point so that it seals the wrapper once rolled fully. Make sure the filling is fully secured inside the wrapper.
- Add the finished egg rolls (I did this in 3 batches, 6 at a time) to a sprayed air fryer. Spray the tops with olive oil spray and add a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning.
- Air fry at 400 for 8 minutes total - at 4 minutes, flip them.
You might also enjoy these egg roll recipes:
Air Fried Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Leave a Reply