Whether you serve these air fried egg rolls as an appetizer for a crowd, or a main course with some sides, these are sure to please. Air fried Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls are the healthy indulgent-tasting meal you never knew you needed! A flavorful mixture of diced cubanelle peppers, onion and mushrooms with lean ground beef is seasoned and piled into eggroll wrappers, and topped with cheese. Wrapped tightly and air fried without the use of heavy oils or deep frying, these egg rolls are crispy and delicious. My favorite way to dip these egg rolls is in sour cream with a drizzle of hot sauce.
What you’ll need to make air fried Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- cubanelle peppers
- white mushrooms
- extra lean ground beef
- For this recipe, I use 96/4 extra lean ground beef.
- I find this brand at Target.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried oregano
- kosher salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- tomato paste
- extra thin or light Swiss cheese
- I have been using this one.
- If Swiss isn’t your thing, you can absolutely substitute cheddar, provolone, or mozzarella cheese. Use whatever you have on hand!
- egg roll wrappers
- I use this brand. I find them where the tofu is sold at my grocery store.
- non-stick cooking spray
How to make these air fried Philly cheesesteak egg rolls
Making the beef and vegetable filling
To make the filling, start by dicing the peppers, onion, and mushrooms. You want the pieces to be as small as possible so that they incorporate nicely into the beef. Add olive oil spray to the frying pan, and heat the pan over medium high heat. Add the vegetables to the pan. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes. Cover the vegetables with a lid, and cook the vegetables covered for 10 minutes. This will help the vegetables steam and cook down nicely. After 10 minutes, remove the lid and cook the vegetables for another 5 minutes or until they are tender, cooked down and slightly caramelized.
Next, add the beef to the pan. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and salt to the meat. Cook the meat for about 5-8 minutes or until it is no longer pink. Then, add the Worcestershire and tomato paste to the pan stir to incorporate.
Let the filling cool before assembling the egg rolls. This is an important step!
Assembling the egg rolls
Lay the egg roll wrappers out on your work station, and prepare a small bowl of water to seal the wrappers once rolled.
Add 1/3 cup of the filling to the center of each egg roll. Top with 1/2 slice of cheese. To roll the egg rolls, face the egg roll wrappers towards you in a diamond shape. Roll the bottom point up, and then fold in the sides. Using your finger, wet the edges of the remaining point and then finish rolling the egg roll wrapper up, sealing with the wet point.
Spray the basket of the air fryer with non-stick cooking spray, and add the egg rolls to the air fryer (to prevent overcrowding, you might need to do this in batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket). I worked in two batches of 6 egg rolls each.
Spray the tops of the egg rolls with more non-stick spray, and air fry the egg rolls at 370 for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
Serve alone, or with queso for dipping; my dipping sauce shown here is sour cream with a drizzle of hot sauce.
Air Fried Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- frying pan
- air fryer
- 2 cubanelle peppers diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 8 oz white mushrooms diced
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef 96/4 extra lean ground beef
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 6 slices extra thin or light swiss cheese used: Sargento ultra thin
- non-stick cooking spray
- Dice the peppers, onion and mushrooms.
- Add olive oil spray to a frying pan over medium high heat, and add the vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes, and then cover the pot with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to medium and allow the vegetables to cook down while covered.
- Remove the cover, toss the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes or until cooked down, tender, and slightly caramelized.
- Raise the heat to medium high. Add the ground beef to the pan and break it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and salt.
- Incorporate the spices into the meat and vegetables, and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the Worcestershire and tomato paste to the pan and stir to combine.
- Let the filling cool before assembling the egg rolls. This is an important step!
- Add 1/3 cup of the filling to the center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Top each portion with 1/2 slice of swiss.
- Before rolling the wrappers, prepare a small bowl of water on your work station.
- Face each egg roll wrapper towards you so it resembles a diamond shape. Roll each egg roll wrapper starting from the bottom.
- Fold the bottom point up, followed by the two sides. Add a small amount of water along the edges of the last point (when facing you, this is the top point).
- Finish rolling the wrappers, and the final point will seal them (because of the water).
- Roll all 12 egg rolls and set aside.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the egg rolls (to prevent overcrowding, this might require two batches).
- Spray the tops with more non-stick cooking spray.
- Air fry at 370 for 10 minutes (flip halfway).
- Serve with queso for dipping, or sour cream with a drizzle of hot sauce (as shown here).
- 4 WW points each (all plans)
Check out these other egg roll recipes: