Potato skins, but make them buffalo chicken style! These skinny buffalo chicken potato skins are packed with flavor, but light on calories. Perfect for game day or for a fun lunch or dinner when paired with vegetables as a side dish. Potato skins are stuffed with a creamy mixture of shredded chicken, hot sauce and cheese, and air fried to perfection. These buffalo chicken potato skins do not taste lightened-up, and are a crowd pleaser.
What you will need to make air fried skinny buffalo chicken potato skins
To make this recipe, you will need the following:
- small russet potatoes
- Only the skins are being utilized for this recipe, so choose a potato size that works for what your intentions are. For an appetizer, I recommend using smaller skins for a hand-held size serving. For a meal, you can use larger potatoes and adjust the serving size accordingly.
- cooked chicken breast
- Rotisserie chicken works well here, or you can use just simple poached chicken breast.
- reduced fat cream cheese
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- This is used to stretch out the cream cheese, and it tames the buffalo flavor. You do not taste the yogurt at all.
- hot sauce
- I use Frank’s Red Hot
- fat free cheddar
- I use Kraft brand.
- If you can’t find fat free cheese, reduced fat will work as well.
- fat free mozzarella
- I use Kraft brand.
- garlic powder
- dehydrated onion
- dried ground mustard
All made in the air fryer
This recipe is made entirely in the air fryer! I love using my air fryer to get crispy texture on my food, without the use of oils or deep frying. The truth is, I made this recipe on a Sunday when I was cleaning my oven, so I had no choice but to use my air fryer. However, it turned out amazingly and made for a really simple and easy clean up!
Can I use my oven?
The truth is, all you need to cook for this recipe is the potatoes, so however you are comfortable baking a potato will work! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can use a regular convection oven at the same temperature. Cook times might vary based on your oven, but just keep your eye on it.
What do I serve these with?
These make a fun appetizer, when served with carrots and celery for dipping, alongside some ranch or blue cheese dressing. To make a meal out of these, serve them over salad or alongside your favorite veggies for a well-rounded meal.
How to make air fried skinny buffalo chicken potato skins
To make this recipe, start out by washing the exterior of the potatoes. Since we are eating the skins, we want to make sure they are super clean. Scrub them if necessary. Add the whole potatoes to the basket of your air fryer, and air fry them at 400F for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, rotate the potatoes and then air fry them for another 15-20 minutes or until they are tender. This will vary based on the size of your potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking, it is the perfect time to make the buffalo chicken filling. Simply combine the cream cheese, yogurt, hot sauce, cheeses, and the shredded cooked chicken breast in a large bowl, along with the seasonings. When the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the air fryer basket and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop most of the flesh of the potato out, leaving just a small perimeter of the potato flesh in each skin.
You can use the scooped out potato flesh for mashed potatoes, or make them into potato pancakes or croquettes; it won’t go to waste! Scoop equal amounts of the buffalo chicken filling into each potato skin, and return the stuffed skins to the air fryer. Air fry them for another 5 minutes at 400F, just to get the tops crispy. Garnish with scallions, and serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Air Fried Skinny Buffalo Chicken Potato SkinsPotato skins, but make them buffalo chicken style! These skinny buffalo chicken potato skins are packed with flavor, but light on calories. Perfect for game day or for a fun lunch or dinner when paired with vegetables as a side dish. Potato skins are stuffed with a creamy mixture of shredded chicken, hot sauce and cheese, and air fried to perfection. These buffalo chicken potato skins do not taste lightened-up, and are a crowd pleaser.print pin rateservings: 8calories: 157kcal
- air fryer
- 8 small russet potatoes, (macros calculated for skins only)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, used: Frank's Red Hot
- 1/2 cup fat free mozzarella, used: Kraft
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar, used: Kraft
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dehydrated minced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried ground mustard
- 2 scallions
- Wash the potatoes, leave the skins on.
- Place the whole potatoes into the basket of the air fryer.
- Air fry at 400F for 30 minutes, flip, and air fry for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop most of the potato out of the skins, leaving some of the flesh.
- (Use the scooped out potatoes for another recipe, like mashed potatoes or potato pancakes).
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken breast, cream cheese, yogurt, hot sauce, garlic powder, dehydrated onion, cheeses, and ground mustard.
- Fill each potato skin with the chicken mixture.
- Air fry for another 5 minutes at 400F.
- Garnish with scallions, serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
- 3 WW points for 2 potato skins
NutritionServing: 2potato skins | Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 798mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 362IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 1mg
If you like buffalo flavor, check out these recipes: Lighter Buffalo Chicken and Rice Skillet One Pot Skinny Buffalo Chicken Pasta Buffalo Ranch Chicken Meatballs Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad Blazing Buffalo Chicken Tenders