If you are looking for a satisfying low carb meal, this is it. Halved bell peppers are stuffed with a delicious mixture of shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, scallions and salsa verde. Topped with more cheese and baked until tender, these stuffed peppers come together in no time at all. Use a rotisserie chicken as a shortcut, and there’s barely any prep time for this recipe. Creamy, filling, healthy and delicious: creamy chicken stuffed peppers.
All about this recipe
I needed an easy meal prep lunch this week. We have a very busy weekend planned, but I always vow to myself to never let that get in the way of my health and goals. I meal prep every single week without fail, and this week is no exception.
I had the idea to make stuffed peppers, except I didn’t want to have the kind of stuffed peppers you usually see: ground meat, rice, etc. Instead, I wanted a different flavor profile this time, and I wanted to use shredded chicken. There’s something about juicy, shredded rotisserie chicken that is so satisfying to me, and when I was developing this recipe, I pictured that juicy chicken breast mixed together with creamy cheeses to form a decadent filling.
That’s where the idea for these stuffed peppers was born. I thought these would make an ideal meal prep this week because they are not only delicious, but really easy to assemble. There is no prep time involved here: just a few minutes of combining ingredients, and then everything bakes in the oven. Using rotisserie chicken breast here as a shortcut is such a great way to save time and energy for this meal.
What will I need to make this recipe?
- cooked chicken breast
- red bell peppers
- salsa verde
- If you have never used salsa verde before, it is a Mexican sauce of finely chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, and hot peppers. I used the mild version for this recipe, but if you like heat, you can use a spicier version. It is really a more toned down version of a red salsa (in my opinion) and it’s a flavorful, thinner sauce. I really enjoy using it in certain recipes.
- onion powder
- reduced fat cream cheese
- reduced fat cheddar cheese
- This is my absolute favorite light cheddar. You would never know this was a reduced fat variety. It shreds and melts absolutely perfectly. If you can’t find this variety, you can use whichever you prefer.
Note: Here is a picture of the specific brands I used for this recipe. You can substitute any brands you prefer, but just know that the stats calculated below are based on the brands shown.
How to make creamy chicken stuffed peppers
As I mentioned earlier, this could not be easier. I specifically wanted this recipe to require minimal prep. That being said, here goes nothin’!
Start off by preheating the oven to 350F. Next, you can prepare your bell peppers. Slice them in half, and then scoop the seeds and ribs out. For presentation purposes only, I left the stems in tact (I just like how they look in photos this way!) but this is optional.
Next, shred your chicken breast (for this recipe, you will need 4 cups of shredded chicken breast, which is equivalent to two breasts), so one rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe. In a large mixing bowl, combine the salsa verde, cream cheese, paprika, onion powder, and 3 ounces of the cheddar cheese (grated). Reserve the remaining 1 ounce of cheddar cheese for later. Next, fold in the shredded chicken and chopped scallions.
This mixture should be moist and flavorful (you can taste it to see if it needs anything, since it’s all fully cooked). Scoop the mixture into each bell pepper half, and then top with the reserved cheese.
Lay the pepper halves in a baking dish, and then cover with tented foil. Bake the peppers for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peppers are tender.
How to serve and reheat these stuffed peppers
To serve these peppers, the options are endless. They pair perfectly with a side salad, or a starch like rice. To reheat them, you can use the microwave, air fryer, or oven. Any method is perfect! This is probably the lowest-maintenance meal prep you will make.
Creamy Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- baking dish
- 3 bell peppers, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded, equivalent to 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, Used: Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat
- 4 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated, Used: Cabot Sharp Cheddar 75% Reduced Fat
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Half the peppers; remove the seeds and ribs.
- Combine the paprika, onion powder, cream cheese, salsa verde, and 3 oz of the cheddar, reserving the other 1 oz of cheddar.
- Fold in the shredded chicken breast and chopped scallions.
- Add equal amounts of the filling to the pepper halves.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 oz of cheddar on top of the peppers.
- Cover with tented foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peppers are tender.
- 4 WW points (green plan)
- 3 WW points (blue and purple plans)
If you are enjoying this recipe, you might also like:
Turkey Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken
Leave a Reply