Have some fun with your breakfast with these healthy breakfast taquitos. Scrambled eggs, diced green chiles, and cheese form the filling for these easy to make, crunchy sensations. Perfect for a handheld breakfast on the go, or serve these with salsa verde for dipping for a delicious sit-down breakfast. These healthy breakfast taquitos are easy to make, fun to eat, and a welcome changeup to your usual breakfast rotation.
What is a taquito, and what makes these breakfast taquitos healthy?
A taquito traditionally features a soft tortilla stuffed with a savory filling, like beef, chicken, or cheese. Traditionally served as a lunch or dinner option, taquitos are usually a crowd-pleasing dish, and fun to eat. Taquitos are tightly rolled up, and then fried. Essentially, they are tightly rolled tacos, which make for a perfect handheld treat. I got the idea to make breakfast-themed taquitos this week because I always have these items on hand: corn tortillas, eggs, some form of cheese. I thought these would make a great, budget-friendly and easy breakfast meal prep for the week. These breakfast taquitos are healthy because we 1) have omitted the frying part, and 2) are using all really great ingredients. The filling for these taquitos simply consists of eggs, some seasonings, diced green chiles, and reduced fat cheese. For the tacos, I use extra thin corn tortillas, which also make these taquitos gluten-free. Since we skip the frying part, these taquitos are baked at a high temperature to get that crispy outside and melty inside. I love the idea of this breakfast because it’s just so different. These taquitos are great on their own, or served alongside crispy bacon, breakfast sausage, and fresh fruit for the ultimate breakfast plate.
What you’ll need to make healthy breakfast taquitos
Here is a short ingredient list for what you’ll need to create this easy, healthy recipe:
- corn tortillas
- I use these extra thin corn tortillas. The macros are great on these, and I always have them on hand.
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- diced green chiles
- reduced fat Mexican-blend cheese
- cooking spray
How to make these breakfast taquitos
To make these breakfast taquitos, start off with preheating the oven to 400F. In the meantime, make the filling. Start off by cracking the eggs in a bowl, along with the cumin, onion powder, kosher salt. Whisk everything together and then pour the eggs into a frying pan sprayed with cooking spray and cook them over medium heat. Before the eggs are fully cooked, add the diced green chiles. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked through.
Remove the eggs from the heat. Wrap the corn tortillas in a wet paper towel, and microwave them for about 1-2 minutes or until they are soft and pliable. If you skip this step, the tortillas will break and you will not be able to roll them up neatly. Lay the softened tortillas on your work space, and add about 1/3 cup of the egg filling to each tortilla, followed by 1 tablespoon of cheese. Roll each tortilla up tightly into a roll, and place them seam side down in a baking dish.
Spray the tops of the rolled tortillas with cooking spray. Bake the taquitos for 25-30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
I enjoy serving these taquitos with a side of salsa verde. You can also add avocado, sour cream and extra cheese on the side, if desired.
How to store and reheat these healthy breakfast taquitos
I recommend storing these in the freezer; portion them out into your desired serving size, and store them in small freezer bags. When you are ready to eat them, either defrost them overnight in the fridge, or defrost them in the microwave. To crisp them up, air fry them at 400 for under 5 minutes, or use a toaster oven or traditional oven to reheat them. They will crisp right back up, just make sure they are fully defrosted before you try to crisp them up. Suggested serving: A good portion of these taquitos is 2 pieces; they are great served alone, or alongside your favorite breakfast bacon or sausage. You can also pair them with fruit or any other side dishes you enjoy for breakfast. These make an excellent meal prep!
Healthy Breakfast Taquitos
- frying pan
- baking dish
- 8 extra thin corn tortillas, Used: Mission brand
- 6 eggs, Used: Egglands Best
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican style four cheese blend, Used: Kraft
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Crack the eggs in a mixing bowl. Whisk together with the cumin, onion powder, and salt.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add the whisked eggs and softly scramble them.
- Stir in the diced green chiles and continue cooking the eggs until they are fully cooked and all ingredients are incorporated. Remove from the heat.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a wet paper towel. Microwave them for 1-2 minutes or until soft and pliable. This is an important step to prevent breakage.
- Lay the tortillas out on your work surface.
- Add about 1/3 cup of the egg filling to each tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon of cheese to each tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly and place them into a baking dish, seam side down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tortilla shells are crispy and golden brown.
- 3 WW points each (green plan)
- 2 WW points each (blue and purple plans)