Restaurant Style Chicken Fajitas pack a ton of flavor, but are so easy to make. Sizzling skillet chicken, peppers and onions, and a delicious combination of spices give these chicken fajitas a punch of flavor. This chicken recipe is a family-favorite, and is so versatile in how it can be served; I love eating this chicken on top of salads, in a bowl with rice, or on tortillas with all the fixin’s.
What you’ll need to make restaurant style chicken fajitas:
- thin sliced chicken breast
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- olive oil
- lime juice
- bell peppers
Other optional ingredients for serving:
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
How to prepare the chicken
To prepare the chicken, we are going to marinate it. I like to do this at least all day long (approximately 4 or more hours). If I can think of it, I like to put the marinade and chicken together in the morning, and let it sit in the fridge all day.
If you don’t have all day, that’s ok. You can do this half an hour before. But just know, the longer it sits in the marinade, the better it is!
To prep the marinade, simply combine the salt, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, olive oil, and lime juice together in a small bowl. It will be a thin paste-like consistency. Then, rub that mixture all over the chicken, and throw it in a bowl covered in the fridge. You can also throw it in a freezer bag, whatever’s easier!
How to cook the chicken, peppers and onion
Peppers and onion
When it comes to cooking this recipe, I like to use a cast iron skillet. I don’t use my cast iron skillet a ton, but I do really prefer it for this recipe. The cast iron skillet really gives everything a lovely char and flavor.
I cook the peppers and onion first, in order to flavor the skillet even further. So, start by thinly slicing the peppers and onion, and discarding the seeds. Then, preheat the skillet over medium high heat. Add some olive oil spray, and then add the peppers and onion to the pan with a pinch of salt.
Cover the pan with a lid, and let the peppers and onion steam for about ten minutes. Every so often, remove the lid, and toss the peppers and onion around with tongs to make sure they are cooking evenly.
After ten minutes, remove the peppers and onion from the pan and set them in a bowl to the side.
Once the peppers and onion are finished cooking, add more olive oil spray to the pan, along with the chicken.
Cook the chicken for five minutes per side, flipping once.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pan and set it on a cutting board.
Slice the chicken into strips and then return it to the skillet, along with the cooked peppers and onions.
Add 1/3 cup of salsa, and stir to incorporate it into the chicken, peppers and onions. Cook for a few minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
Restaurant Style Chicken Fajitas
- cast iron skillet
- 1.25 lb chicken breast thinly sliced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- olive oil spray
- 1/3 cup salsa jarred, I use Tostitos
- Thinly slice the chicken breast.
- Combine the kosher salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Rub the marinade all over the pieces of chicken.
- Cover the chicken in a bowl (or freezer bag) and place in the fridge to marinate.
- Marinate for at least a half hour before cooking, longer is preferred.
- Add olive oil spray to a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Thinly slice the peppers and onions and add them to the skillet. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Cover with a lid.
- Steam the vegetables for 10 minutes, removing the lid every so often and tossing them with tongs. Add more olive oil spray as needed.
- Once the peppers and onions are done cooking, remove them from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add more olive oil spray to the pan.
- Add the full pieces of chicken to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the pan, and place on a cutting board.
- Cut into strips.
- Add the chicken back to the pan with the peppers and onions, and add the salsa.
- Let the mixture cook together for 2 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 2 WW points (green plan)
- 0 WW points (blue and purple plans)
How to serve restaurant-style chicken fajitas
I like to serve mine buffet style; a kind of “build your own fajita” station. I like to make some guacamole, add some tortillas, sour cream, and shredded lettuce for topping. The options are really endless here: serve with rice and beans, put the chicken over a salad. What I love about this meal is that you can cook one meal, but then everyone in the family can choose how to eat theirs!
You might also enjoy these recipes: