It’s easy to fall into a rut when it comes to breakfast: oats, eggs, pancakes, the usual. How about adding veggies to your breakfast? One of my favorite veggies is zucchini because it’s so versatile. This healthy savory zucchini pancake bake is such a delicious change-up to your usual breakfast routine. Pancake mix is mixed with shredded zucchini, seasonings, and eggs and baked to perfection. Serve up a slice of this pancake bake alongside some eggs, sausage, bacon, or fruit for a well-rounded breakfast.
What does a savory pancake bake taste like?
This recipe, although so simple, is just bursting with flavor. Think along the lines of a savory scallion pancake from your favorite Chinese restaurant; it’s so simple, but yet so delicious. This pancake bake has notes of sweet from the pancake mix, flecked with savory bites from the onion powder, oregano, salt, and zucchini. Altogether, this makes for such a delicious addition to any breakfast, lunch or brunch. Heck, it will even make a delicious side dish for dinner.
My recommendations for serving this pancake bake are alongside bacon, sausage, or eggs for a delicious and well rounded meal. For lunch or brunch, this would also pair well with a fresh salad.
Perfect for meal prep
Just like all of my pancake bakes, this recipe makes for the perfect meal prep. Cut it into 6 portions to enjoy during the week for breakfast or for lunch! Store in the fridge, covered tightly. If you are looking for other sweet pancake bake recipes, check these out:
What you’ll need to make this zucchini pancake bake
This recipe uses only a handful of ingredients, mostly pantry staples with some fresh zucchini.
- This recipe uses 2 cups of shredded zucchini (fresh)
- almond flour based pancake mix
- I use this one, because it is gluten free
- I have not tried this recipe with traditional pancake mix, but I assume it will work out just as well
- baking powder
- plain, unsweetened almond milk
- You can use any milk of choice; I use almond milk to keep this recipe low in calories and dairy-free
- onion powder
- kosher salt
- dried oregano
- non-stick cooking spray
How to make this healthy savory zucchini pancake bake
To make this recipe, you won’t need a ton of equipment: just a baking dish, a grater, and a mixing bowl will do. Start out by preheating the oven to 350F. Trim the edges off of the zucchini, and grate it into a measuring cup. You will need 2 cups of grated zucchini for this recipe. Once grated, use a dishtowel to wring out all of the excess moisture from the zucchini (this is a crucial step; if you skip it, the pancake bake will be way too watery and won’t set up correctly). Zucchini is naturally packed with a lot of water, so this is super important!
Add the zucchini to the mixing bowl, along with the eggs, milk, pancake mix, baking powder, and spices. Stir until all of the ingredients and incorporated evenly, and then pour the batter into a sprayed baking dish. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the pancake bake is golden brown on top, and set up in the middle. Allow it to cool before slicing. Some moisture on the inside is normal, and due to the zucchini; bake until your desired consistency.
Healthy Savory Zucchini Pancake Bake
- mixing bowl
- pie plate, baking dish
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded, all excess water wrung out; equivalent to 2 medium zucchini or 3 small zucchini
- 2 cups almond flour based pancake mix, used: Simple Mills Almond Flour Pancake Bake
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini, and shred them using a grater. You will need to yield 2 cups of shredded zucchini.
- Using a kitchen towel, wrap the shredded zucchini and wring out all excess moisture. Do not skip this step!
- Add the zucchini to the mixing bowl, along with the pancake mix, baking powder, milk, eggs, salt, onion powder, and oregano.
- Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Spray a pie plate or baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and pour the batter into an even layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top of the pancake bake is golden, and the inside is set. Some moisture is normal, and due to the zucchini.
- Allow to cool before cutting into 6 servings.
- 5 WW points per slice
You might also enjoy these recipes: