You can feel like a chef in your own home when you make this air fried chicken parm recipe, featuring a homemade fresh tomato sauce. Thin sliced chicken breasts are breaded and then air fried for a crispy outside, and then topped with a homemade marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Of course, you can always use jarred sauce, but when you see how easy it is to make a fresh marinara sauce at home, you will never buy another jarred sauce again. This air fried chicken parm with fresh tomato sauce is lightened-up, healthy, made without oil or frying, and is family-approved.
Why do you make fresh sauce rather than using a jar?
First things first, you can absolutely use your favorite jarred sauce for this recipe! I just never used jarred sauce, because I prefer to make my own. It’s easy, it tastes great, and it’s good for you. The ingredients in this fresh tomato sauce are just onion, garlic, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt. You can pronounce everything, and there is no added sugar. If you like a sweet marinara sauce, you will love this one, because the cherry tomatoes are so naturally sweet that they create a sweet sauce when they cook. Making a fresh tomato sauce can be intimidating for some, but it only takes a handful of ingredients and 10-15 minutes to make. It will change the flavor of your dish, too.
What you will need to make this recipe
To make air fried chicken parm with fresh tomato sauce, you will need the following ingredients (lots of pantry staples, and some fresh items):
- chicken breast
- egg white
- unsweetened almond milk
- seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- cherry tomatoes
- dried oregano
- kosher salt
- fresh basil
- light mozzarella (or part-skim)
How to make air fried chicken parm with fresh tomato sauce
Making the air fried chicken cutlets
To make chicken cutlets, first trim your chicken into four pieces. Next, prepare your dredging stations: a shallow bowl for your breadcrumbs, and another shallow bowl with the egg white and milk mixed together. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg white mixture, followed by the breadcrumb mixture. Spray the basket of your air fryer with olive oil spray (depending on the size of your basket, you might have to work in batches). Add the breaded chicken pieces, and spray the tops again with olive oil spray. Air fry at 390 for 10 minutes, flipping halfway. Repeat this process as needed.
The link to my air fryer is here: Gowise 7 Qt Air Fryer If you do not have an air fryer, you can make these chicken cutlets in the oven. I recommend 400F, and laying the chicken on a wire rack over a baking sheet; this will allow the air to circulate and results in a crispy texture.
Making the fresh tomato sauce
To make the fresh tomato sauce, start by dicing the onion and mincing the garlic. Add the onion to a preheated frying pan with olive oil spray, over medium heat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for another minute, and then add the tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to cook and break down for 10 minutes; you can help this along using your wooden spoon to break the tomatoes up. Next, add the salt, dried oregano, and stir in the basil. Taste for seasoning.
To assemble the dish, add a layer of sauce to a casserole dish, followed by the cooked chicken. Top the chicken pieces with the remaining sauce, and then sprinkle the cheese on top. Spray more olive oil on top of the cheese before baking. This helps it melt. Bake for about 10-15 minutes at 375 or until the cheese is melted. You can also broil it for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese.
Air Fried Chicken Parm with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- air fryer
- frying pan
Air Fried Chicken Cutlets
- 1.5 lb chicken breast, sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, I used: 4C brand
- olive oil spray
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 pints
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh
- 2 oz light mozzarella
Air Fried Chicken Cutlets
- Slice the chicken breast into 4 pieces.
- Combine the egg whites and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs to another shallow bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with olive oil spray and add 2 pieces of the chicken (or all 4 if they fit).
- Spray the tops with more olive oil spray.
- Air fry at 390 for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the air fryer and set aside.
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Finely dice the onion. Finely mince the garlic.
- Add olive oil spray to a frying pan, and heat over medium.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, and cook for 10 minutes or until they break down and release their juices.
- Add the salt and oregano. Stir frequently, and break the tomatoes with your spoon.
- Taste for seasoning. Stir in the fresh basil.
- Spread a layer of the pan sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Add the cooked chicken cutlets, and top them with more sauce.
- Add the cheese on top. Spray with more olive oil.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Broil for 2-3 minutes if desired.
- 2 WW points per piece (blue and purple plans)
- 4 WW points per piece (green plan)
You might also enjoy: One Pot Healthy Chicken Parm Pasta Grilled Chicken Parmigiana
Leave a Reply